Over carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kproudfoot

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me. I have legged 4 batches of beer and I over carbonated 3 of the 4. The 4th seems fine and maybe a little under carbonated. The 1st 3 I tried to force carbonate and I am sure that caused my problem.

I have tried turning off he co2 and periodically releasing the pressure but that hasn't seemed to help even after sitting like that a few days.

I've tried reading and watching videos and the only other thing I can think of is my fridge is too cold (don't know the exact temp). I have tried turning it down though but just a little.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just keep venting the keg with no head pressure until it is to you liking. If the temperature is to you taste then adjust the CO2 pressure down. Use a forced carbonation chart for the correct temp.

I find I prefer just a little less pressure then the chart suggests.

What pressure do you keep your set CO2 at and what temp do you think you are at? Also, if the keg is still quite full, there is not much volume to allow CO2 to come out of solution and it will take more pressure purges to get to a lower carb level. Try drinking one or two more to get extra space! :D

I definatley need a thermometer. But think I got my problem under control. I found a thread about flipping the keg and turning on gas and pushing out CO2 that worked like a charm!

Back