Over carbonated my kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Ok so I pushed about 30-35 PSI into my legs the last 48 hours. Turns out I shouldn't have waited that long! They are a tad over carbonated.

What should I do to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Lorne

I went ahead and cut my CO2 off.

At least until I know what to do. I brought it down to 10PSI to pour it and was gonna leave it but decided to cut it off for now.

I haven't had this issue myself (i just set and forget for a week or so), but here is what i would try:
I would start by taking it completely off the gas and purging the head pressure.
Then i would warm it 5 to 10 degrees force more CO2 out of solution.
Over next 24 - 48 hours i would periodically pull a sample to see if it is right yet.
If not, purge pressure and let sit for a 4-6 hours and test again.
Once you get to where you like it, put it back on gas and chill.

Assuming your serving pressure lines up with your carb level @ serving temp it will further balance out over additional time.
DISCLAIMER:I have not done this personally, but it is what i would do if I needed to. Your results may vary, or I might be smarter than i thought.
Cheers and good luck :mug:

Ok so I pushed about 30-35 PSI into my legs the last 48 hours. Turns out I shouldn't have waited that long! They are a tad over carbonated.

What should I do to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Lorne
Are the kegs pouring foamy or are they pouring fine but the beer is too fizzy?

Ok I just tried them after having co2 off all night and they aren't as foamy. But they are a bit on the fizzy side.

Back