Over carbonated my first keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielbeckera

Reaction score
I over cabornated my first keg, i was doing the hard carbonation method shaking the keg while applying the pressure through the co2 cilinder. I kept the valve opened while shaking, i dont know if it was this that made it over carbonate.
What should I do now to decabornate now?
Only thing is coming out from the tap is foam, like 98% foam.
I removed the original pressure already (2bar) to serving pressure (0.1-0.2) but its only foam yet.
Thank you guys

I'll let someone who knows more about it discuss the process, as I've never done it. But I've read of a technique where people de-pressurize the keg completely, let it sit, depressurize it again the following day, let it sit, and so on. They'll do this for a few days to try and decrease the carb. With no head pressure in the keg, the CO2 will slowly come out of solution.

For future, there are a couple of options for you to avoid this....

1. Go with the "Burst Carb" method. Set your regulator to like 40 PSI for 24 hours (obviously with the beer cold and in the kegerator/keezer). After 24 hours, drop the PSI to your desired serving pressure. This should get you pretty close for most beers. Here's a link that talks about this method.

2. Buy one of these carbonation lids for your keg. This will be slightly faster than the above method and I think, a bit more accurate.

Good luck!

i dont get this part:
you'll have to switch out your hookups for this maneuver

can you help me?
the post is without photos
You need to connect your CO2 up to the liquid out post, not the gas in post, to use this method. Liquid and gas QDs don’t have the same inside diameter, so they are not interchangeable. You need to put a liquid QD (black) on your gas line. This is easy to do if you use the threaded MFL connections for QDs to tubing.

Brew on :mug:

Back