Over Carbed - Serving pressure too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I have three kegs on tap in my kegerator. All three are a bit over carbed. I have read the threads about balancing my system, and I am working on that for the future. I think that might be the source of my problems.

But I have 100 people coming over this weekend. If I just back off serving pressure will it reduce the carbination in the beer? Or do I have to bleed off all the pressure of each keg until its at the desired level?

I am presently serving at 14 psi.

Thanks

Alan

is the problem due to too much CO2 dissolved in the beer (overcarbonated)? or is your serving pressure not matched to the legnth of your hoses, so you are getting foam?

so...

how many volumes of CO2 do you want the beer to have, and what temperature is the keg?

and

how long are the hoses between keg and tap?

Reduce the pressure, remove the gas from the kegs and vent the kegs several times a day to lower the co2 in the beer.

You could also drink a pint from each keg to "test" carbonation between venting them.

But I have 100 people coming over this weekend. If I just back off serving pressure will it reduce the carbination in the beer? Or do I have to bleed off all the pressure of each keg until its at the desired level?

I am presently serving at 14 psi.

Are you sure its overcarbed and not short lines? That being said if you drop down the pressure to push the beer, you won't lose much carbonation over a day.

I must admit that I have been so focussed on the brewing process that I have sorely let my knowledge of CO2 and kegging lapse. I am not sure its not short lines. I need to run that calculation.

I am pretty sure that after keg conditioning under pressure all three kegs were carbed to my liking. I don't know how many volumes of CO2 I am looking for as I have never measured that. I have always just conditioned at 20ish PSI for a week, then off the gas for another week or two, then tap and drink. Usually that is fine for me.

In this case I assumed that the serving presure is forcing more CO2 into the beers. Maybe I should try longer hoses first?

Did someone just say that I need to test a pint each day from all three kegs?????? Well, okay, but only if it's for the greater good of my beer!!! :tank: ;)

I must admit that I have been so focussed on the brewing process that I have sorely let my knowledge of CO2 and kegging lapse. I am not sure its not short lines. I need to run that calculation.

I am pretty sure that after keg conditioning under pressure all three kegs were carbed to my liking. I don't know how many volumes of CO2 I am looking for as I have never measured that. I have always just conditioned at 20ish PSI for a week, then off the gas for another week or two, then tap and drink. Usually that is fine for me.

In this case I assumed that the serving presure is forcing more CO2 into the beers. Maybe I should try longer hoses first?

Did someone just say that I need to test a pint each day from all three kegs?????? Well, okay, but only if it's for the greater good of my beer!!! :tank: ;)

How long are your lines and what is the internal diameter, 3/16ths?

3/16" and about 5 feet or so right now.

Alan

Ah, yea. You need longer lines, especially if you want to serve at 14psi. It seems like most people around here serve at 10-12psi.

I'd take it down to 2 psi. Draw some and see if you still get foam/overcarbed beer, or if you actually get a good pour. I suspect it will pour well at low psi. Keep doing that, bumping it up 1psi at a time until you start to get foam. That will tell you what your psi limit is with your current line length and carb level.

Since your party is this weekend and you don't have a lot of time to troubleshoot this, just turn the psi down to 4 or 5 (wherever it pours nicely) for the party if you don't figure it out by then. It will pour a little slower, but at least people won't be getting glasses of foam.

I have 8 foot lines and serve at 12psi at 42F. That works well for me. I also run my lines from the keg, down to the floor of the keezer back up to the tap (as opposed to coiling them on top of the keg) so that they stay colder. I'm still not sure if that downhill/uphill path has an effect on anything, but I get great pours and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Finding that perfect balance in your keezer/kegerator can take a while.

Yeah if you are looking at two things to get you back on track. They are separate from each other:

1. carbing your brew to the desired amount: Simply... use this chart

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
a. calc. temp + desired carb and set PSI

2. Based on the carb level you need to set line resistance. this one is a bit trickier - especially if you have a habit of carbing at different levels like I do. Base on your provided info - pending no rise to tap or other restriction issues I would think about 10ft of bevlex line would work, but you could always get 15 and cut it back by the foot until you get what you want for restriction.

If you increase your PSI for another brew, you may need a longer line. If you lower the PSI for another brew you may need a shorter line.

Based on your provided info - your brew shouldn't be ovecarbed (it isn't even at 2.5 volumes). You simply need more line restriction.

Epoxy mixer sticks are another way to add line restriction without changing line length. You put them in the dip tube.

Back