Over attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
Heya, errbody.

I've brewed some-odd 15 batches now. All have been keepers, some have even been repeatable. I almost always use scratch recipes (only brewed one clone, and it's only a semi-clone). Everything is really going well overall. However, as per the normal path of many new brewers, yeast and fermentation have proven to have the hardest learning curve thus far.

My temperature control is finally going well. I've figured out the rhythm for various temperatures in my swamp coolers. I've had a few batches that behaved strangely though.

Mostly I've used English dry yeast strains (on accident, actually. There's that whole "learning curve" thing showing me to research yeast BEFORE I use it). Windsor, Nottingham (once), and a lot of s-33. Beyond those, I've used us-05 maybe once and am just about to bottle my first batch made with t-58.

S-33 and t-58 are my culprits thus far. Both not super-attenuators, right? Well, both have given me 89% attenuation. Seriously, 89%!

The s-33 was in a SMaSH 2-row/equinox, plus some table sugar which I know helped it dry out. OG 1.045, FG 1.005. Mashed at 148 and fermented in the low 60's.

T-58 just finished munching on a Belgian blonde made with just pilsner, hopped with nugget and saaz. OG 1.058, FG 1.006, mashed two steps---131 for 30 minutes and 148 for 30 minutes. This one fermented at 64 for a day or two then was allowed to free rise in ~70* ambient.

My thermometer is accurate, the hydro is properly calibrated, I spin the hydro to remove trapped CO2.

What's the deal here?

Sidebar: I harvested the s-33 from the SMaSH and it's currently brought a porter from 1.062 to 1.010. I like the mouthfeel this yeast provides. It has made up nicely for these beers that would otherwise be lacking body.

The s-33 was in a SMaSH 2-row/equinox, plus some table sugar which I know helped it dry out. OG 1.045, FG 1.005. Mashed at 148 and fermented in the low 60's.

T-58 just finished munching on a Belgian blonde made with just pilsner, hopped with nugget and saaz. OG 1.058, FG 1.006, mashed two steps---131 for 30 minutes and 148 for 30 minutes. This one fermented at 64 for a day or two then was allowed to free rise in ~70* ambient.

Your mash temps are what is causing your brews to attenuate so much. A 148 degree mash and some sugar is going to make a very fermentable wort. So the numbers you got are just about right.

If you want them to finish higher, just get the mash temp up some and you are good.

Your mash temps are what is causing your brews to attenuate so much. A 148 degree mash and some sugar is going to make a very fermentable wort. So the numbers you got are just about right.

If you want them to finish higher, just get the mash temp up some and you are good.

I know the mash temps are a part of it, but I mashed low since the yeasts were supposedly not highly attenuative. It seemed intuitive, lol

On the subject of attenuation, what yeast has low attenuation and low esters? SWMBO likes malt bombs but most esters are nails on the chalkboard for me. After some research it seems to be mostly kolsch yeast. Those a good bet?

On the subject of attenuation, what yeast has low attenuation and low esters? SWMBO likes malt bombs but most esters are nails on the chalkboard for me. After some research it seems to be mostly kolsch yeast. Those a good bet?

Weeeelllll, I don't recommend any of these for that purpose. Us-05 is highly attenuating, and the others are ester bombs. S-33 is edme (so it's English esters all the way, albeit fairly subdued at low ferment temps) and the t-58 has created a legitimate Belgian ale, nothing subtle about it. So, sure, kolsch is wise. Or Scottish ale yeast. Or Irish red. Honestly, those beers are what it sounds like you're after. Malt bombs without esters

Well done. 15 brews under your belt is an impressive count. At this point you can start fine-tuning and dialing in your process, and make some tweaks to existing recipes to see how things change. My first experiments were those brought out of necessity -- LHBS being out of stock of certain grains, hops, yeast, etc. Don't be afraid to mix your brewing experience up, just don't try to do too much at once!

Good luck, and brew on!

The answer is an Altbier, the yeast WLP029 or WY1007. Super clean taste and perfect for a malty grainbill. It prefers fermenting in the low 60s, but I've taken it as high as 67F without ill effect.

My guess would be besides the low temps, how about both of those beers only using 2 row and the other was pilsner? Maybe throwing in some other less fermentable grains in there (crystal, carapils, wheat, oats) could help with the over attenuation?

Back