Outside Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Long

Reaction score
Its starting to cool down in Washington and I'm wondering how it will affect my brews. I've brewed a few AG hefeweizens and never worried about the temperature outside. I have no cooling system, just a shack outside.

Should I plan anything different for my next ferment? I assume I could start lagering now that winter is coming.

John. Seriously. It's still July. Winter isn't for three more months at least. Just because we got a coldsnap doesn't mean winter is now upon us, we'll get more hot weather in August and a few hot days in September. I wouldn't worry too much about your beers, I'm sure they'll be fine.

What kind of temp control do you have, besides the shed?

runaway.gif

aahhhhh! Global Cooling!

But seriously - the forecast for today is high 60's. By the weekend it should be in the mid to low 70's, just like it's been for the last few weeks. This is summer in WA. How long have you been living here?

Moved to Olympia September of last year! From San Diego of all places.

When should I start worrying about the temperature, or should I at all?

I have no control of my temperature at all, minus a fireplace in my living room.

Insulation is your friend. Building a fermentation box out of rigid foam board is a good move. At the very least, it damps out the temperature cycle, which is good for the yeast.

It's fine. Summers in WA get cold for a week or so every now and again and it'll be nice up until late september to early october. I have an APA that's fermenting right now, and I've been switching out frozen water bottles in the water bath/cooler that it's living in to keep it cool!

Until the temperature of the beer is sitting at below 60º, you're fine. ;)

Back