Out of date kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzz4068

Reaction score
Hi, I'm extremely new to home brewing (on my first batch) and I bought 1 of the kits from a home brew shop. After I got it home I noticed it was 3 weeks past the best before date. I followed the instructions to the letter with regards to sterilisation and how to make the brew. It has been 4 days now and the fermentation doesn't seem to have started, there are a few bubbles on the surface but not enough to get the airlock bubbling. I think I have it airtight, I have used petroleum jelly on all the seals and I'm wondering if it is because it was past it's sell by date.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated before I pour it away and start again

Thankyou.

Airlock bubbling means nothing. Whehter it bubbles or not is irrevelant, or if it bubbles a little or a lot, all it is is a vent, a vlavle to release excess co2..it's not a fermentation gauge, don't go by what it is or isn't doing.

The foam on top is a good indication that everything is fine.

Your beer kit isn't like milk, that would go bad right away. Even years after kits have been brewed. And there are many lhbs that sell outdated yeast at a big discount.

Just relax, everything is fine....your beer is and will be fine.

Also please erase the "dump my beer" idea from your mindset....it's not a good knee jerk reaction.

You don't know enough to know nothing's wrong...so don't be so quick to think about dumping...

Read the stories here, and you'll see how many times folks thought about dumping batches and instead gave it more time, and the beer turned out great.

ive used coopers kits that have been a year expired and has had no problems with them (ive also used the yeast with them). unless the can seal is broken this is nothing wrong with it.

One way I check if my lid is on tight, with bucket fermentors anyway, I gently push on the lid and if the liquid in my airlock or where my blowoff tube is moves as I am pushing then I know my lid is on tight!

Other than that, I agree with Revvy because as usual he is right:D

Latest posts

Back