OTWOA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About two weeks ago, I put together a clone recipe for Wings and I just kegged it with the first drop hop addition. Going to do two dry hoppings, one at room temperature and the other is still TBD whether it will be after crashing or at room temps...leaning towards crashing and just leaving it in the keg as I have done many times. The samples have all smelled and tasted delicious, so I can't wait until this baby is all carb'd up and ready for the first real pour!!

Recipe to start is really simple, basically a lot of two row, some wheat, some C60 for color, acidulated to help the mash PH, a touch of carapils for head retention, and smattering of corn sugar to get the ABV in the right range.

The S05 petered out a little early, even though I slightly over pitched, but I am with 2-3 points of targeted FG so it should be fine. Compared it to the real deal last night and the color is as close as my eye can determine.

Using over a pound of Falconer's Flight in a 5 gallon batch, so hope this comes close as it was not a cheap beer to make. I am sure I will tweak it before the next brew based on tasting notes. I know I used Crisp Ale malt for the base grist, so that may need to switch to an American 2-row as I am pretty sure Brau does not use English pale. I was a bit heavy handed on the wheat as well, though I do detect fairly significant presence of wheat in this beer.

Have a couple cans from the last batch waiting to do a side by side. Will post tasting notes...

So this beer needs to clear, but I can tell you at this point it is close to Wings...close enough that I must take this to a full 10G experiment next time I brew it. It is dank, but not like the last batch of Wings...think I need to add about 2 ounces of Columbus to get that earthy, weed like dankness. It was a little hot to begin with, and remains a tad hot though the heat is dissipating daily. Will probably cut back on the corn sugar next batch. Color seems a bit off, so need to determine whether to add or subtract crystal malt. Need to do a side by side to really get good tasting notes prepared for the next batch. Think this batch is a little thinner than the real deal...but won't know until I pop a can and pour a glass of each. My version has not carb'd up yet, so I should wait for that as well. This is a tasty beer and has a kick!

Sooooo...snagged two cases of Wings from Brau this afternoon, and after hitting the dentist, grocery store, and picking up the kids from activities I am finally back in the casa de stone doing a side by side:

Color: spot on, my version may be a shade darker
Aroma: Brau wins! I think I need more dry hop to match their aroma as mine is a little less "fruity" smelling
Taste: Brau wins! Both taste GREAT, mind you, but Brau's has a LOT more hop flavor.
Mouthfeel: Brau has a tad more mouthfeel than mine...I did have issues with temps on this brew, so perhaps that is the difference, but...
Sweetness: Brau definitely had more residual sweetness than my version...thinking I need to mash higher!

Wings is completely coating my mouth with hop resin. It is like licking a hopsicle, folks! I got close, but this is indeed in need of a rebrew to attempt to get closer. Things I will definitely change are mash higher to get that residual sweetness that my version is lacking on, and go from a pound of hops for 5 gallons to about a pound and a half to get this closer to what Brau has done...need to cut back on the C60 by 4 ounces or so.

I was doubtful prior to brewing this that I needed about 12 ounces of dry hop, but I am now thinking quite differently now after my side by side! Still might move some of that into the whirlpool, and I am thinking I might add about 2 ounces of Columbus late as it is prevalent in this beer. I may just do a third dry hop addition this week to see if that kicks me closer, but I definitely need to rebrew to get the mouthfeel and sweetness right.

Hats off to Jeff Hancock for creating this special, special beer! Even if I clone it, I am going to make the trek to Brau every time it is released as it is one of my favorite all time IIPA's!! Fresh Wings is like unicorn tears wrapped in babies' dreams!! Cheers all!!

I've never had it- and now you're making me regret that I haven't. It sounds great.

I think since you were able to do a side-by-side, you know where to go with it now but it does sounds like your clone may not be spot on but still very good and very drinkable!

So added another few ounces of dry hop in the keg and the hop flavor is definitely getting closer. Issue is my version is more bitter and does not have the residual sweetness of Brau's Wings, so I think I have dialed it in a bit more, but a rebrew is in order. Lowered the CO2 a bit as well, which has reduced the carbonic bite and made it a tad bit less bitter feeling...if that makes sense. Aroma is closer as well as flavor, but I think I should have used larger hop charges on each dry hop addition, just as we know Brau does. I really love this beer I brewed, as it is a close cousin to the real deal...here's hoping I can get even closer next time! Cheers all!!:mug:

So added another few ounces of dry hop in the keg and the hop flavor is definitely getting closer. Issue is my version is more bitter and does not have the residual sweetness of Brau's Wings, so I think I have dialed it in a bit more, but a rebrew is in order. Lowered the CO2 a bit as well, which has reduced the carbonic bite and made it a tad bit less bitter feeling...if that makes sense. Aroma is closer as well as flavor, but I think I should have used larger hop charges on each dry hop addition, just as we know Brau does. I really love this beer I brewed, as it is a close cousin to the real deal...here's hoping I can get even closer next time! Cheers all!!:mug:

Welllllll................

Are you going to give us the recipe or what?@!?! :p You're keeping me in suspense here!

rgilbert? please answer every frickin question being asked!!

Cool it. First, stonebrewer is the OP. And he's being pretty responsive. rgilbert has asked also, but some people do have a life and can't respond when we demand.

I'm sure that Tony will get back to us when he can. Let's remember our manners, please!

Sorry folks...been under the weather a bit so have not been too active in the last 24 hours or so. I hate the cold and flu season! No matter how much beer I drink, I still seem to get a cold from time to time!!

Recipe so far (will update when I dial it in more!):

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.46 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.76 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.50 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Est Original Gravity: 1.090 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.7 %
Bitterness: 139.1 IBUs
Est Color: 9.3 SRM
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No
Mash Out
Sparge Water: 4.99 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE
Carbonation Type: Keg
Pressure/Weight: 12.54 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 45.0 F
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Date: 12 Oct 2014
Brewer: st0nyk
Equipment: My Equipment
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.9 %
Taste Rating: 25.0

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 75.2 % <I used Crisp Pale Ale malt>
2 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.4 % <REDUCE this a smidge>
8.0 oz Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM) Grain 5 2.7 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.7 %
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 7 57.6 IBUs
10.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8 3.4 %
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 29.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 24.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 17.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 9.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 14 -
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs <DOUBLE this or more!>
2.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs <Ditto!>

Add Irish Moss 10 min before end of boil.
Add yeast nutrient as usual at end of boil.

Mash Steps:
Mash In Add 6 gal of water to achieve 152.0 F <Think this needs to be 156, though I had temp issues and initially mashed in much lower>
Sparge: Fly sparge with 5 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash

Fermented with S05 at 65-68F for two weeks, until FG of 1.012 (target was 1.009) was achieved. Kegged, dry hopped at 70F twice. Chilled and added CO2. Not quite hoppy as the original in flavor or aroma so added a third charge (2 oz) of Falconer's Flight...much better but more bitter than the real deal. More tongue coating hop residue, so on the right track.

NOTES: fix mash problems and/or mash higher to get more residual sweetness like the real deal. Consider at least 3-4 oz per dry hop versus 2 oz...maybe more? Maybe drop a few ounces of C60 out of the mix to lighten a shade or two of SRM. Watch carbonization to reduce bite. Serve a bit warmer than a lager as more flavor and aroma come out at warmer temps.

Hey Stonebrewer, did you tweak this recipe any further? I'd like to try and brew this as well, and I agree, Wings is probably the best IIPA I've ever had.

Latest posts

Back