Other Uses for Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaK

Reaction score
We just came back from vacation, and I noticed a few small ants roaming around my kitchen sink. I started smushing them, and then I grabbed my spray bottle of star san... A quick squirt of the sanitizer killed the ants immediately. It was amazing. From what I read with ants, they will keep coming back until you remove the scent trail they leave, so I started spraying the entire area and killed a few more ants. I then saw a yellow jacket stuck between my window and window screen and I sprayed that with the Star San and it killed the bee as well. What is this stuff that we are using to clean our beer supplies that is strong enough to kill bugs?

According to their website, Starsan is a combination of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. Sounds to me like that will do the job with ants and bees!

Didn't I read somewhere else on this forum that StarSan permanently etched someone's granite countertops? Not sure I'd be spraying StarSan willy-nilly around the various surfaces of my house.

Didn't I read somewhere else on this forum that StarSan permanently etched someone's granite countertops? Not sure I'd be spraying StarSan willy-nilly around the various surfaces of my house.

That was me and it was formica. If you wipe it up you should be fine.

I sprayed it diluted on the formica and it hasn't damaged it.. I'll keep that in mind though. Most of my spraying has been in the porcelain sink

LandofOz... I'm not drowning them.. its more like giving them a shower :)

Yup, it's the undiluted (full strength) that stains the counter tops. If some runs down the sides and sits on the formica and you don't realize it for a while, you, too, will have a mark on it. (I have several - didn't realize what was making the stains...)
However, I have also let the overspray of a properly diluted batch sit on the counter for untold hours, until evaporation, with no ill effect.

Looking forward to the tootpaste trick - does it whiten too? Will it work with Ajax? :D

I use it to spray down granite countertops after they've had raw meat on them. No etching. I get the stuff all over my hands when I brew with no ill effects, how can it hurt my counters (talking diluted starsan, of course)?

I'll plead the fifth here and now.
gu_lol.gif

We just came back from vacation, and I noticed a few small ants roaming around my kitchen sink. I started smushing them, and then I grabbed my spray bottle of star san... A quick squirt of the sanitizer killed the ants immediately. It was amazing.

I noticed this tonite. I was cleaning and saw a trail of ants. I hit them with the starsan that was in my spraybottle. They stopped walking immediately and were dead withinin a few more seconds. Bizarre.

I thought I had discovered something new and came here to report on it. Searched first and found a few threads where others had already boldly gone. Great minds, I guess.

Since I started using Star San I haven't had to degunk the garbage disposal. When it stinks, I pour a pint or so down the drain with it running, and smell-b-gone.

Back