Oskar Blues Deviant Dale’s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1WILD1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
God I love living in Colorado!!! :rockin:
This beer is a hop heads wet dream!

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
This beer is intended to be a sensory assault for hop lovers. At 8.0% ABV, four hop additions during the brew process, and a final wallop of excessive Columbus dry-hopping, this beer is meant to say one thing: MORE HOPS! Perfect for these cool winter nights, The Deviant is a returning favorite from the little brewery in Lyons, Colorado that started the Canned Revolution!

Drinking one right now. The Columbus dry hop makes the room smell like hops when you crack one open. The best part is that they come in tall boys

I had this at Lucky Pie in Louisville last week - BLEW MY MIND. One of the best IPA's I've had...well...ever.

I just picked up a couple of 4-packs at Super Liquor Mart at Pierce and Coal Mine. $12.95 a 4-pack and worth every penny.

The dry hop of Columbus is a 2X4 to your nose and tongue. Pliny the Elder is a serious but subtle hop attack. DD is a blunt instrument.

The cans I have were filled on 02/22/12. I am sure this over the top hop will diminish with any kind of age. Run out and grab some now!

Oskar-Blues-Deviant-Cans-570x760.jpg

I had maybe a third of a can last night, and I gotta say this was one of the weirdest tasting beers I've ever had. I had just had a bottle of Hoptimum before I tried the DD's, so maybe my problems were due to palate wreckage and a clash of flavors, but the DD's almost tasted like it was massively oxidized or something. I wasn't even sure it was beer at first. I guess I'll have to try it again. I got it from the cooler @ Mile High in Lakewood, so I don't think it was a storage issue.

Wasn't a fan. I'll take a Gubna or Chub over Deviant any day. Columbus is a horrible dry-hop IMO. Waaaay to oniony.

Gubna uses Summit (100%), not Columbus.

Granted, many of the super-alpha hops can come off oniony, but I don't find it in Gubna.

Excellent beer. Loved the hops and flavor. The entire room smells like hops when you crack one open. Definitely one of my new favorites.

Just picked up a 4-Pack and drinking one now. It kind of reminds me of Gubna and Dale's combined into a stronger IPA. Excellent beer and well worth the $14 they charge for it in the NJ/NYC area.

Had one the other night(on tap), pretty tasty, reminded me of Ballast Point, Big Eye..earthy tones from the hops is awesome!!

Finally had a pint last on saturday. I prefer this over Gubna any day. The hop aroma is amazing.

I had maybe a third of a can last night, and I gotta say this was one of the weirdest tasting beers I've ever had. I had just had a bottle of Hoptimum before I tried the DD's, so maybe my problems were due to palate wreckage and a clash of flavors, but the DD's almost tasted like it was massively oxidized or something. I wasn't even sure it was beer at first. I guess I'll have to try it again. I got it from the cooler @ Mile High in Lakewood, so I don't think it was a storage issue.

I had another one last weekend, this time without nuking my palate first with an iipa. It was much better, and tasted like I thought it would. Pretty good stuff, although it's maybe a little sweet/sticky.

Love this stuff huge hops in a great way...love the onions!! haha
all joking aside anyone got a clone of this delish-ishness?
love the hop essence of it with little bitterness and ending it in floral citrus

So, about that clone.

I've been back and forth between heady topper and deviant dales.

I think they are equals. thus i must brew both.

I like Deviant, but it's not Heady. Heady is the king of IPAs, in my opinion, and surpasses Deviant with aroma. Topper is my favorite beer, Deviant is probably a top 10 for me.

So, about that clone.

I've been back and forth between heady topper and deviant dales.

I think they are equals. thus i must brew both.

you have a recipe for the deviant? buddy of mine just moved back from co and he said he is dieing for some deviant dales

I don't have a recipe yet.

I have a bunch of Galaxy, Moteuka and Citra hops, so I'll need to do something with those first.

Deviant is next on the list after that.

Back