Original gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making a Belgian Dark Strong the supply store was out of Pilsen Light Malt so I bought Golden Light will that change my OG? My reading is about .03 off it should be 1.09 and it is 1.06. Pilsen Lovibond is 2% and Golden is 4% would that make that much of a different?Any help would be great. Thanks

I'm making a Belgian Dark Strong the supply store was out of Pilsen Light Malt so I bought Golden Light will that change my OG? My reading is about .03 off it should be 1.09 and it is 1.06. Pilsen Lovibond is 2% and Golden is 4% would that make that much of a different?Any help would be great. Thanks
And this is before I have added yeast.

The difference between 1.090 and 1.060 is 30 gravity points- that's a lot. The variety of DME should not make a difference in gravity points- they all will give you about 40 points per gallon per lb of DME. You must have been shorted almost a pound of DME. The lovibond is an indication of color- pilsen DME is lighter in color than golden DME. OR, and this is always possible, you didn't mix everything well before taking the SG and have stratification. It's a very common issue with extract batches, especially if you added any water post boil.

Bingo! I posted a little late and didn't see your latest post until afterwards. The stratification thing is most likely. You are good to go sir!

Back