Orfy's Hobgoblin vs. Orig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam01

Reaction score
I was comparing my 3rd batch of Hobgoblin (Orfy's II version) to the real one.

The original had
less mouth feel - use less carapils next time
a unique sweetness - no ideas...
crystal clear beer - filter beer.

I'm trying to figure out what is causing this special sweetness. Anyone else compare these and try something else with it? A few places suggested treacle was used.

I pretty much matched the recipe with temps and amounts. I used muntons MO, Breiss crystal and carapils and Pauls Chocolate.

Any thoughts. Thanks.

Well, I can't answer your question. But i think this is as a good a time as any to say that that is one fine recipe. I made it in the summer and had one today, and it was FINE. Thanks Orfy.

BTW, the Northern Brewer hops lends a minty bite to the finish of this beer. Did you go with that?

Try using british crystal and chocolate malts and if you're using nottingham as per orfy's recipe, definitely use something else. Use a good british liquid ale yeast instead. I'm not sure what strain would get closest to wychwood's strain but anything would be better than nottingham.

Since our Styrian hops have low AAU's I substituted Williamette for the Styrian bittering. That's the only difference.

LHBS has Hugh Baird crystal 70-80 though (vs 60); also Pauls Crystal. I might try one, thought the sweetness doesn't seem like a malt sweet. Much brighter but short lived.

This is a great recipe - everyone that tries it likes it. But I'd like to move the recipe closer to the original.

THanks.

I believe they pasteurize the beer before bottling them. Thus no yeast culturing.

I am in no way trying to be a butt when I say this but the brewer has a lot to do with how the beer turns out. 10 people could brew this beer and even if it's the same recipe as the commercial example all clones still may not be the same.

That is the thing with clones, it is so hard when you are working with different equipment and don't use the same techniques.

the yeast. It is absolutely critical to produce the right characteristics in your beer. Nottingham is a fine yeast, but it's not going to be anything the like the original, it's too attenuative and not estery enough - both of which are probably what you're talking about by 'sweetness.' Also, many liquid english strains will flocculate better, for a clearer beer.

I've had good success with WY1275 in brown ales like Hobgoblin.

> brew it may be different

Yes, definitely true.

> yeast - big factor

Yes again. Looking for direction. Will have to experiment some with brands, temp and yeasts. Just wondering if someone else figured out something about it already.

Thanks.

Back