Oregon Whole Fruit in Syrup vs Oregon Puree ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
Is there a benefit/difference in using the puree over the whole fruit in syrup? I recently brewed a 10 gallon cream ale and would like to add raspberry to the secondary of half of it.

OFP_CannedFruit_RedRasp_344x490.jpg

raspberry-vintner-s-harvest-fruit-puree.jpg

Definitely use the puree for your beer. Or frozen berries if you can find them at a decent price.

Again, if there's sugar (syrup) added or any artificial sweeteners, pass.

That Oregon Puree is very expensive!

I used "LITE" fruit in a few batches with great results and no adverse problems.
I figured, if I just use the fruit and not the juices in the can, I should be ok. I just thought, Maybe, you can rinse the fruit off with water to get all the juice off.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=299795

Sure they are pricey. I bought a few from RiteBrew for around $15 each. I got a few other things too, like Keg Quick Disconnects, beverage line, etc., and the shipping was very reasonable all together.

A lot of the flavor is in the sugary syrup in those heavy syrup cans. Rinsing them off would waste a lot of it. If you don't mind a secondary fermentation, the sugar will ferment out and boost the alcohol a bit.

Sure they are pricey. I bought a few from RiteBrew for around $15 each. I got a few other things too, like Keg Quick Disconnects, beverage line, etc., and the shipping was very reasonable all together.

A lot of the flavor is in the sugary syrup in those heavy syrup cans. Rinsing them off would waste a lot of it. If you don't mind a secondary fermentation, the sugar will ferment out and boost the alcohol a bit.

Well I brewed a few Magic Hat #9 clone batches. I needed Apricots. The cans were $17. and change each. The recipe calls for 2 cans. That's like $36 bucks for a 5 gal batch. I think that's way to much money for the fruit. OR I, just don't feel like paying that for the fruit. I guess I could have used the concentrate for maybe $4.50. I think it would taste "FAKE" So I found the apricots packed in water and "Lite" sugar. I payed maybe $7. bucks for the couple cans I used and bought from Walmart. Truth be told, I had blind taste tastes with friends that drink #9, and they couldn't tell the difference between the store bought #9 and my clone. Me Either LOL

I understand what you said about the sugars fermenting out and maybe giving an ABV boost, Nothing the matter with that. But I disagree about the sugar juice in the can having most of the flavors. I didn't rinse the fruit off with water, But I also did not use the juice from the can. Just the fruits themselves. Apricot Flavor was very prevalent. As it should be in that beer.

SO, if you wanta save some bucks, and use REAL Fruits, I would not buy that expensive puree.! Just my 2 cents! :mug:

Well I decided to go with the Oregon fruit so we'll see how it works out in a week or so.

Back