Oregon Speciality Fruits/Vintner's Harvest Recommendations for Fruit Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
I heard this on The Brewing Network's podcast The Session. It's from 11-12-17 at ≈1:17:00 mark. They were interviewing Oregon Specialty Fruit who makes Vintner’s Harvest Fruit Purees. These are the fruit purees in most homebrew shops. Really interesting podcast if you're interested. Anyway...here are some notes that I took.

Their dosing recommendation is to start with ≈1/2lb of fruit puree per finished gallon of beer. (i.e. ≈2.5lbs in a 5gal batch).

They also recommend that you add the fruit during primary fermentation on day 2 or 3.

They also mentioned that some brewers will hold back 20%-30% of the fruit puree and add it after cold crashing. After they add the remainder of the fruit puree they will let the beer sit on the fruit puree for another 3-7 days. This method helps you retain a good amount of the aromatics from the fruit.

I've done a number of fruit beers (Apricot Wheat, Cherry Pale Ale, Raspberry Porter, Cherry Stout, Pineapple Helles, etc.). I've usually done the full 3lb can in the batch (or split for my 2.5gal batches). This has worked well for me. But I've typically put all the fruit in at the tail end of fermentation (which is usually day 3/4). And I've never kept part of the fruit back for later addition. I'll definitely have to try that.

Back