Ordinary Bitter with Wyest 1203 - Burton IPA ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philosofool

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing an ordinary bitter in a few months, but this is a PC release, so I need to decide soon whether to use it in the bitter.

The description sounds great for the style,
this blend highlights hop bitterness and aroma while still allowing full expression of authentic water profiles and pale malts. Low to moderate ester level can be manipulated through fermentation temperature and pitching rate. Palate finish is typically neutral to mildly fruity with some maltiness. Good flocculation characteristics make this an excellent candidate for cask conditioning.​
Has anyone used it, and would it work in a session strength english bitter?

Here's my recipe, for 5 gallons:
7 lbs. Baird's Maris Otter
1 lb. wheat malt
8 oz. 40L crystal
2 oz. 120L crystal malt

Mashed at 155

Wilamette, Leaf, 60 minutes to reach 35 IBUs for the whole beer (need to calculate total)
Wilamette, Leaf, 15 minutes, 1/2 ounce

Carbonation at 9 psi, 42 degrees.

Fermented with ...., for temperature hoped to produce moderatly-low fruity esters.

What do you think? Feel free to criticize my hop choice as well. (I have a pound of wilamette hops right now, and it's the most english thing I have. I intend to use these hops this year.)

Sounds good! I'd consider less crystal malt. If you want just a dash of colour you could use an oz of black patent (or brewers' caramel). Willamette is great in bitters. Floral, just a dash fruity, slightly earthy. It is used often in the UK too (St Austell's brewery uses them to great effect).

i think that yeast will work out perfect for the beer you are planning. You've got me thinking and I may do the same thing...

I make an ordinary bitter with 7.5 lbs maris and 4 oz crystal 80.

I'm gonna grab that yeast and make it with that one next time...

I've used First Gold and Challenger hops, but the Willamette will work out fine as well.

Sounds good! I'd consider less crystal malt. If you want just a dash of colour you could use an oz of black patent (or brewers' caramel). Willamette is great in bitters. Floral, just a dash fruity, slightly earthy. It is used often in the UK too (St Austell's brewery uses them to great effect).

I've thought about the crystal levels. It's for my club competition and beers on the bigger end of every style seem to do a little better. Jamil also insists that session strength beers are better when you lean on some specialty malt for extra character, but I am thinking about your advice. I'm probably not brewing the competition beer until late May, so maybe I'll brew a pilot and see what I think.

Latest posts

Back