Hops advice on American IPA w/ wheat (10 gal)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdmontonBoil

Reaction score
I'm trying the following recipe tomorrow for my first stab at 10 gallon brewing. Going for an American IPA...-ish. It's going to be on the darker side, west coast, rather than east coast. I decided to add the wheat because I like good mouth-feel in beers... I may have overdone it a bit.

16 lbs 2-row
2 lbs white wheat
1.75 lbs dark munich
1 lb crystal malt (120L)
1 lb dextrose

I'm using what hops I have on hand, which is Centennial and East Kent Golding. BeerSmith says that 3 oz Centennial (60 minutes) and 1 oz Golding (15) should be sufficiently bitter for the style. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

In a perfect world, I'd use a more complex hops mixture, but you brew what you've got...

Malts look fine, just a little darker with the C120, which is OK.
If that's wheat malt, not flaked wheat, make sure to crush it finely on a narrow gap (0.025"), they're very small kernels.
Mashing lowish, 150-152?
Aiming at an OG around 1.060-1.065?

IPAs thrive on dry hops for flavor and aroma. What do you have in mind for those? More Centennial?

Would there be any problem with using more Centennial? Most of the recipes I see look like they try to have a complex blend of hops.

Would there be any problem with using more Centennial? Most of the recipes I see look like they try to have a complex blend of hops.
There are quite a few single hop craft IPAs, some are quite famous. E.g, Bell's Two Hearted uses only Centennial, Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale is 100% Cascade.

Using 2-3 (or more) different hops increases complexity and flavor profiles one cannot get from a single hop. There are endless combinations, of course.

Do you have or can you get any other hops that would be suitable for dry hopping?
We have several threads on IPAs and NEIPAs for inspiration.

Also, 10 gallons of a single beer is quite a bit for homebrewing. Why that much of one, it sounds like it's still experimental?

Thanks for the feedback on the hops. We were actually hoping to have something a little like Bell's Two Hearted ale, so that's confirmation that things should work.

Regarding batch size, we like to host quite a bit and have easy-going friends who enjoying drinking with us. I've been brewing every 2-3 weeks, which is honestly a little more than my schedule allows right now... so I'm going to dive into larger scale so I can get down to brewing about once per month. Not ideal, but it'll work for our situation.

16 lbs 2-row
2 lbs white wheat
1.75 lbs dark munich
1 lb crystal malt (120L)
1 lb dextrose

Personally, I find that crystal 120L provides burnt flavors (like burnt Sugar) that I don't enjoy. Supposedly one also can get darker fruit flavors (raisin, prunes), which don't seem to be appropriate for an ale in the spirit of Two-Hearted.

Back