Ordering Yeast in the Summer Months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alooper86

Reaction score
I typically order liquid yeast online since my LBS doesn’t carrier imperial yeast. I always purchase the optional ice packs when ordering liquid yeast but they don’t seem to keep the yeast cold enough when shipping in 90 degree heat. I’m sure this kind of heat does severe damage to the health of the yeast. So my question is does anyone have any better methods of obtaining liquid yeast in the summer months to ensure yeast health? This is one of the only drawbacks from brewing in the summer.

Thanks!

Atlantic brew supply wraps their yeast in a bubble wrap type gimmick and then seals it with tape. Add extra ice packs and it seems to work well. Still not perfect, though.

And $8 shipping on orders.

Your best bet might be to start harvesting yeast from previous batches (might not be possible for this summer though, if you haven't started already). Or, overbuilding yeast starters and saving some for subsequent batches. I've done this a number of times with good success.

If you're not totally set on just imperial yeast, here are some other ideas
1. Harvest yeast from bottle conditioned commercial beers. Or, if you bottle, you can probably harvest yeast from your own batches.
2. Go to local breweries and ask them if they would be willing to give you some yeast. Most don't mind since the amount of yeast a homebrewer uses is very small in comparison to the volumes they usually deal with.
3. Join a local homebrew club and see if members wouldn't mind sharing yeast.
4. Brew more beers which use heat tolerant yeast strains, like saison or kveik.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite though as I've only done number 4 myself ;)

Cheers!

I don't understand why you're so stuck on getting Imperial Yeast, unless it's a very specific strain your Local HBS doesn't carry. Maybe delay that one brew for Fall or next year?

Shipping liquid yeast in the heat of summer (or freeze in winter) is highly discouraged. So prepare for next season and brew something now with yeast you already have or can source locally.

Good suggestions above! ^

The ice packs aren’t to keep the yeast cold. They are there to keep the yeast from going from cold to hot too fast and shocking them, thus killing them. Think of the ice pack as a controlled warm up. I live in Texas where the summer heat is 100°-110°. I order yeast in the summertime and ave never has an issue with it. I do always make a starter though.

Back