Orange Wine with Wyeast 3725

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoel

Reaction score
I'm currently hatching a plan! A local store has naval oranges on sale for $0.10 a pound. At that price my mind immediately thinks "brewing ingredient". Moving beyond an orange hef, etc. I was hoping to make an orange wine and trying to brew with what I have on hand. What kind of feedback do y'all have concerning brewing an orange wine with Wyeast 3725. It's fast fermenting, alcohol tolerant (for a beer yeast), and in my experience has left beers pretty dry.

Thoughts and input?

Wyeast 3725-PC Bier de Garde Yeast
Beer Styles: Saison, Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Profile: Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation low
Attenuation 74-79%
Temp. Range 70-84°F (21-29°C)

Just for the hell of it I bought an orange wine on a trip to Florida. You will be much better served if you used the oranges for a chicken cassoulet.

I had a friend try to make orange wine on a couple of occasions. The first batch tasted like vomit and smelled about the same. The second batch not only smelled like vomit, but it would also produce vomiting if consumed.

Brewing with oranges is an art with its own bag of tricks. I personally do not have a desire to attempt it, ever. I'm sure it can be done and even done well. However, after witnessing first had what fermented orange juice looks and smells like, I cannot recommend anyone try it without some knowledgable help from someone who knows how to do it successfuly.

I've thought about this 'problem' after reading posts like the one above. I wonder if part of the problem is OJ goes bad pretty quick at room temps. If you want to try it go the lager route and use as low of temp as you possibly can. I'm not sure it would help, just something I've wondered about from reading.

Sounds like I should have posted this in the Lambic and Wild Brewing category where when one says "Smells like vomit" they say "Forget about it for a year or two, you'd be surprised" :D

Just for the hell of it I bought an orange wine on a trip to Florida. You will be much better served if you used the oranges for a chicken cassoulet.

Sorry to hijack, but care to share your recipe for chicken cassoulet? I have a naval orange tree in my back yard and am always looking for ideas.

Back