orange carboy cap and better bottle fit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
Is it just me or does the orange cap not fit better bottles snuggly?

My cap and blow off tube are working but I do not feel that it has a great seal around the neck of the carboy.

any thoughts?

mine is the same way. i sanitized a rubber band and wrapped that around the neck first to create a better seal

It seems to snap on ok, but the fit seems loose. I usually use the big bung instead because it seems more secure, and then just use the carboy cap when I siphon.

I use a nice thick rubber band, like the purple ones that come on a bunch of broccoli, around the outside of the cap and it seems to be just the trick.

I do think I'll buy one of those universal bungs in my next online order, though...

Matt

ma2brew said:
I do think I'll buy one of those universal bungs in my next online order, though...

Matt

Do they make universal bungs that fit a better bottle? I wish they did, but I haven't seen them yet.

If it were specifically designed to fit the better bottle neck, it wouldn't be universal anymore. I think it got its name from the fact that it would fit any size glass carboy. Better bottles need a #10 stopper and it works for either the 5 or 6 gallon version. You know what also fits nicely? The plastic cap off a water bottle. You could drill a hole in that for the airlock or any side blow off barb.

I have some that are tight and some that are not. It's a hit or miss.

I'm going to be moving to 15 gallon fermenters this summer I hope and wont be using the carboys much so I don't care much about.

I tried the orange caps a couple times. After a couple mishaps I gave up and bit the bullet and bought a couple more of the BB stoppers. They work well with a 1/2 inch hose for a blowoff and then I plug in the BB airlock.

They don't seal well. I've done the rubber band thing as well as just electrical tape - which is a bear to get off later. Now I don't care. There are some that advocate not having any pressure on your fermentor - even that from your airlock. As I can see the fermentation process I don't need to follow the bubbling activity so much. After krausen falls I condition for another 5-7 days and then bottle. I don't like bungs as the crevice they create where they seal is a trap for dust and therefore bacteria and wild yeast.

GT

Bobby_M said:
I use a drilled stopper now instead because I agree that they fit badly.

+1...the cap didn't fit as tightly and my blowoff wouldn't attach tightly enough either. My drilled stopper with tubing crammed into it works much better :rockin:

Got Trub? said:
I don't like bungs as the crevice they create where they seal is a trap for dust and therefore bacteria and wild yeast.

GT

Same here. I would rather not have it seal tight then to have ridge around the opening holding a bunch of bad stuff that can fall in when it is removed.

It does seem like the caps aren't 100 % snug. For mine, I use some Glad Press N' Seal wrap between the bottom of the carboy cap and the neck of the BB and pull it tight while sealing.

welp I switched from orange caps to drilled stoppers and now I am back to orange caps.

I ditched the caps because I couldn't get a tight fit. note: some say to use thick rubber bands to hold them tight

I am now going back to the caps because I got a #10 stopper stuck, it was a pain in the ace to get it out. And every time I insert a new stopper after taking a starsan bath it wants to pop out or slide to far in. note: when I was using onestep stopper slide not an issue at all.

Any tips out there that may help me use stoppers again?

amishland said:
Any tips out there that may help me use stoppers again?

Wipe them with cheap vodka or even a clean paper towel, also do the inside of the BB where the stopper will touch.

don't use better bottles, but i have to agree that the size and fit of the orange carboy caps is quite variable. also, the maroon ones for 6.5 gallon carboys are just plain too tight. it's also hard to get your finger under the lip because of the way the glass is molded. i have a bunch of rubber stoppers for my 1 gallon jugs and i cant stand the smell they leave.

I use bungs, glass carboys. I just mop the "crevice" with rubbing alcohol before pulling the bund. Kills everything in about 30 seconds.

I use bungs, glass carboys. I just mop the "crevice" with rubbing alcohol before pulling the bung. Kills everything in about 30 seconds.

2 large zip ties connected together, just tight enough to slip on and off while snugging down the carboy cap enough to make it air tight. Nothing extra in danger of contacting the wort, easy repeatable closure.

Back