Optimum Temp to Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuWoolf

Reaction score
I brewed beer back in Scotland using Coopers Lager in a tin! In the main, it was successful. However I had to purchase a Warming Plate (Tried a Belt but the Plate seemed a better option). Its a lot cooler ahem...in Scotland than it is here in South Florida.

I dont remember much about the brewing process apart for the need to keep the temp at a particular level (which escapes me). My question is, what is the optimum temp to brew Coopers Lager in a tin and if the temp in my locale does not permit that, what is the option to reduce temperatures? Back home I did consider a Brewing Fridge with some electronics attached however given the cost of refrigerators her in Boca and surrounds, that is probably no longer an option.

Optimum Temp?

Thanks for all help given🙂

From what your saying mate, I think you are taking about your fermentation temp. It's dependent on the yeast to an extent, but it'll be somewhere around 20C for an ale or a warm fermented lager. For a true lager you'll have to go much lower than that and need a cooling system of some sort. Holding your fermentation at a steady temperature is an important aspect for the finished beer, with all sorts of off flavours coming out if it gets too warm or varies too much.
An alternative would be to use a Kveik yeast as they can ferment at temperatures up to 40C so there's no need for temp control.

From what your saying mate, I think you are taking about your fermentation temp. It's dependent on the yeast to an extent, but it'll be somewhere around 20C for an ale or a warm fermented lager. For a true lager you'll have to go much lower than that and need a cooling system of some sort. Holding your fermentation at a steady temperature is an important aspect for the finished beer, with all sorts of off flavours coming out if it gets too warm or varies too much.
An alternative would be to use a Kveik yeast as they can ferment at temperatures up to 40C so there's no need for temp control.
Thanks for this very helpful and informative reply.

You are correct, I am referring to Fermentation. I will keep a look out for some Kveik.

Thank you🙂

You are correct, I am referring to Fermentation. I will keep a look out for some Kveik.

For most of my ales, I target an initial fermentation temperature in the 64F to 66F range (18C to 19C). Note that this is the temperature of the beer. An active fermentation can easily push fermentation temps to 6F (3C) above ambient. If you don't have a cool area to ferment, you may want to take some steps to keep temps in check during the first few days of active fermentation. Traditional lager fermentation temps are closer to the 52F / 11C range.

Back