Optimum Conditioning Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamleescott

Reaction score
I've been bottling beer for a while now with generally good results. The general rule I follow each time is that I wait a minimum of 2 weeks for the beers to carb and obviously condition.

However, because I'm impatient and thirsty and start drinking on day 14. In the first early bottles, I always smell and taste something that shouldn't be there. I can't really describe it...perhaps it's yeast...I don't really know?

The questions I have:
1) should i be conditioning the beer longer, so the process cleans up the beer further?

2) is there an additional step in the fermentation process that can provide a cleaner taste / removes any unwanted yeast leftovers?

Thanks for your comments and help.

Last edited:
My process is typically 2 weeks in primary Including a diacetyl rest, 1 week cold crash (still In primary), then pressure transfer to keg. I have a unitank so my beer is carbed before it gets to the keg. I have noticed that my beer is not at its best till around 3 weeks + in the keg. Not even just slight improvement, it’s significantly better after this time.

I have the opinion that this is just the time that it takes. But I’ll read comments from others to see other opinions.

My process is typically 2 weeks in primary Including a diacetyl rest, 1 week cold crash (still In primary), then pressure transfer to keg. I have a unitank so my beer is carbed before it gets to the keg. I have noticed that my beer is not at its best till around 3 weeks + in the keg. Not even just slight improvement, it’s significantly better after this time.

I have the opinion that this is just the time that it takes. But I’ll read comments from others to see other opinions.
Do you always do a diacetyl rest...for ales and lagers?

One way or the other one should account for diacetyl precursors. Obviously more critical for cold lager fermentations to get up into the 67-68°F range while there are still a few/handful of gravity points left to ferment, it's never a bad idea to let ales see the same temperature for a couple of days, and let the yeast convert the sketchy stuff into benign compounds...

Cheers!

I have never brewed a lager, but John Palmer (how to brew) says you should.
IMG_0414.JPG

I leave mine at least three weeks in the bottle. They are almost always better after 6+.

You doing extract or all grain?

All the Best,
D. White

There's warm conditioning and cold conditioning, and both matter IME. The warm part is just allowing for a short period after active primary fermentation has ceased. Some people extend this by a lot - 3 weeks in the fermenter, etc. - but I'm talking about just 3-5 days. This is the so-called clean-up period, a term which I dislike because it's vague, but which nevertheless seems to be accurate. It's not just for diacetyl, as not all yeasts produce much, especially if they are treated well.

Cold conditioning is, I believe, where most of the real quality improvements evolve.

Here is where your beer clarifies, precipitating both visible and invisible compounds, ultimately producing a cleaner taste in the glass. This is the goal of lagering, but it applies to nearly all beers. I agree with others above that 3 weeks packaged cold is a clear turning point. Sure, you can crack or pour one after a week, 10 days, etc. - but 3 weeks is a milestone. With bottles, I'm talking 3 weeks after carbonating has finished. With kegs, 3 weeks after filling and applying gas.

Of course, dark roasted styles and high ABV normally require more time to hit their stride.

There's warm conditioning and cold conditioning, and both matter IME. The warm part is just allowing for a short period after active primary fermentation has ceased. Some people extend this by a lot - 3 weeks in the fermenter, etc. - but I'm talking about just 3-5 days. This is the so-called clean-up period, a term which I dislike because it's vague, but which nevertheless seems to be accurate. It's not just for diacetyl, as not all yeasts produce much, especially if they are treated well.

Cold conditioning is, I believe, where most of the real quality improvements evolve.

Here is where your beer clarifies, precipitating both visible and invisible compounds, ultimately producing a cleaner taste in the glass. This is the goal of lagering, but it applies to nearly all beers. I agree with others above that 3 weeks packaged cold is a clear turning point. Sure, you can crack or pour one after a week, 10 days, etc. - but 3 weeks is a milestone. With bottles, I'm talking 3 weeks after carbonating has finished. With kegs, 3 weeks after filling and applying gas.

Of course, dark roasted styles and high ABV normally require more time to hit their stride.

I'll add to this. I don't keep all my beer refrigerated but, I keep a weeks worth in the fridge. This means everything I drink has had at least a week in the cold. I pull one out, I put one in. It does seem to make a difference in the flavor smoothing it out and removing any what I'll call "sharpness". It also changes the carbonation to a finer bubble than just tossing one in the fridge to chill the day you're going to drink it.

If you're getting into your beer earlier than three weeks in the bottle you might want to brew an extra batch and get a longer pipeline going. I'm still drinking beer I made in December. I've made three batches this year already and I've been into them but, I'm spreading out what I'm drinking. I do two to three gallon batches so I have a good variety on hand.

All the Best,
D. White

not really sure if this should be here but here go's
I just lost my keezer due to needing more storage for this corona bs
if my ale is done fermenting and i purge my keg with co2 and transfer to keg.
how long would that ale stay good in the keg if i kept it at room temp.
any and all input would be appreciated
thank you and happy elbow bending

OP: part will depend on your fermentation practices.
Part may be that the beer's 'green' - still too young.
Is it all beers you make, or certain styles, or what?
How long do you ferment, what temps, what conditions?
Is there any pattern to the issue?
maybe you just need to be more patient and wait another week before drinking.
I personally leave in fermenter about 3 weeks (I've done as little as 12 days, as much as 5 weeks)
and I like to condition about the same - 3 weeks. Depending on the beer it might be ready sooner or later, but since I'm not on any kind of production schedule, a week or 2 doesn't matter to me.

A more direct answer is that it will be fine in the purged keg, no worries. Only thing to be conscious of is keeping the lid sealed. My kegs were all bought new and still have a lot of life left, so this is never an issue for me. If you have an older keg with a wonky lid that only seals with significant pressure, then YMMV.

Since "this Corona BS" will be a factor for weeks/months, you might want to think about other storage options for the long term, though.

Back