Opps, I pitched the WRONG yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdease2275

Reaction score
OK, so I was brewing to batches and after I told my self not to pitch the wrong yeast, what happened. I inevitably did. So whats your thoughts.

the 2 yeast were :

Wveast 1098 from the Cooper Sparking ale Clone kit and
Wveast 1056 from the Shed Mountain ale Clone kit

Cooper was a British ale and Shed was an American ale

Best case scenario I brew some thing new.

Whats my worst case scenario???

Mike

I have no idea what those kits are, but it's not going to be a big deal. Your American Ale will have a bit more fruitiness to it and probably finish a little sweeter, and your British ale will be a bit cleaner and finish a bit drier.

Both batches will still be beer. Probably pretty tasty beer at that, even if they aren't faithful to any particular style.

Unless you're planning on entering them into a brew competition, I'd not sweat it (and quickly drink all evidence of your mistake).

There's no such thing as wrong yeast. I fermented a Simcoe/Zythos/summit ipa on a Wyeast ESB yeast cake. Came out really good, just different from what I planned but I was being thrifty and reusing that yeast.

There's no such thing as wrong yeast. I fermented a Simcoe/Zythos/summit ipa on a Wyeast ESB yeast cake. Came out really good, just different from what I planned but I was being thrifty and reusing that yeast.

This, this, and this.

If you are entering your beer into a competition, fine. If you're not... who's to say that an IPA with fruity esters won't be amazing?

Cool, thanks for the input, I'm new to this. I figured It would be ok but needed some reassurance.

Thanks

who's to say that an IPA with fruity esters won't be amazing?

Homebrewdad hit the nail on the head. I don't normally buy kits, but the Belgian IPA ALL-GRAIN Kit from Midwestsupplies.com piqued my interest. I brewed it with Wyeast 3724. I had the notorious stuck fermentation that is common with this yeast, but when it was all said and done, the beer turned out to be AWESOME!

Latest posts

Back