Opportunity to brew at a local brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ealu-scop

Reaction score
Nothing official yet, but I might have an opportunity to brew at a local brewery on their 30 gal system which would be served in their taproom.

I've only brewed 5 gallon batches from kits (all grain) and had only just begun to think about creating my own recipes, and wham, this opportunity popped up.

Have any of you been invited or been able to brew at that level? I assume it'll be a fantastic learning opportunity. Any advice on what to take specific note of, tips going from 5 gal to 30 gal, or any other thoughts?

Right now I'm just as excited as a kid on Christmas!

I did just that years ago at a 50 bbl brewhouse brewery. At 50 bbl, the process is very different. A 1 bbl system you are talking about is pretty small and you should have no problem getting acclimated on it. Go for it! I am glad I did.

Have any of you been invited or been able to brew at that level? I assume it'll be a fantastic learning opportunity. Any advice on what to take specific note of, tips going from 5 gal to 30 gal, or any other thoughts?

I've been fortunate to brew several "collaboration" batches in a few commercial breweries, from 20 gallons up to 15 barrels.

There are there main things I would be considering...

1) IBUs. Your IBUs may not be their IBUs, even if you're both using the same formula (e.g. Tinseth). A big reason for that is that larger batches often take longer to chill, and during that slow chill, more alpha acids are being extracted/isomerized. This may not be a big deal with a 30 gallon batch, depending on how they chill. But at least discuss it with the pro.

2) Yeast Pitch Rates. If you believe yeast pitch rate is important to your recipe, have that discussion up front with the pro. Some comm'l breweries use a standard pitch for everything. But they might use yours, if you ask ahead of time. Or they might compromise. Or they might just go ahead and provide their standard pitch. (Just don't assume that if you provide a pitch rate in your recipe that they will read and use it.)

3) Water. Commercial breweries are all over the map with how much they care about (or even know about) water. If it's important to you , have that discussion in advance.

I've brewed at 2 different breweries and have third coming up. It was fun.

I also participated in a brew on the pilot brewery at AB-InBev in St. Louis. All we did was add the hops. The rest was pretty much automated.
Good news? Petrichor? Lol... :bigmug: E6, shamrocks, and friendship are my hangouts down there.

No. It's in O'Fallon. It's in the same building O'Fallon Brewing was in before they moved to Maryland Heights. The brewery in Herman is Tin Mill.

Yes, Tin Mill. Wife and I took a 'detour' off I-70 to visit Hermann a few years ago enroute to a 50th reunion. Neat little town. The vineyards and winery have been there for over 100 years. They actually have some decent reisling wines. Tin Mill had some fun beers as well.

Nice avatar ;)

I had the opportunity to do this at a local place in back march - but then you know what happened. They promised it will still happen once it's safe. Can't do one of my recipes, but still excited for the chance!

Nice avatar ;)

I had the opportunity to do this at a local place in back march - but then you know what happened. They promised it will still happen once it's safe. Can't do one of my recipes, but still excited for the chance!

Twinsies! You're obviously a man of distinguished taste.

Man that sucks. Hope things get rolling soon.

Still no details yet, but whether I get to do my own recipe or just work with one of theirs, I don't care. Same here, excited for the chance.

Twinsies! You're obviously a man of distinguished taste.

Man that sucks. Hope things get rolling soon.

Still no details yet, but whether I get to do my own recipe or just work with one of theirs, I don't care. Same here, excited for the chance.

I see your from KC (Go Chiefs). KU grad myself, many moons ago. Which brewery will you brew with? Love me some Boulevard!

Brooo Brother

By all means do it! I brewed at two different places and it is cool to see and do. It is also neat to have your beer served to the public.

I was invited to brew one of my recipes at a local brewery in Huntsville, AL, my Hibiscus Saison.
I let them know what I needed, they got all of what I asked for, went there with my brew buddy, we did all of the work, got a few free beers on release day.
They made all of the money on the beer, I gave up my recipe that I had fine tuned, and basically got nothing in return.

I was invited to brew one of my recipes at a local brewery in Huntsville, AL, my Hibiscus Saison.
I let them know what I needed, they got all of what I asked for, went there with my brew buddy, we did all of the work, got a few free beers on release day.
They made all of the money on the beer, I gave up my recipe that I had fine tuned, and basically got nothing in return.
Wow, that sucks. The first place I brewed at let me invite 50 people to their May festival and everyone got a wrist band that entitled them drink for free the whole time. My wife and I got a hotel room within walking distance from the brewery and boy that was that a good thing. The second place I brewed at let me drink my beer for free anytime I stopped in. The second place I just brewed on there pilot system it was only a 1 barrel system. Both places I brewed at said they would never use my recipe again without my permission but that is not to say they couldn't just tweak a recipe a bit an call it there own, I guess we are all guilty of that though.

Hopefully it wasn’t rocket republic, I thought the owner was cool.

Cool bragging rights at least, right?
I'd buy you a beer to hear more about your experience.

It's hard to read tone on the internet, but are you bitter about that? I ask because every batch I've brewed in comm'l breweries has been basically the same as this. But I do it because it's nice to be invited, and fun to brew on the big rigs once in a while. It beats going pro, which for me would (I'm pretty sure) take all the fun out of it.

I have but much smaller scale I did several batches on their sabco that was served in the tap room.

Of course, initially I was flattered that the owners of the brewery liked my beer so much that they asked me to come and brew it on their system.
It's on me that I didn't have a deal clear as to what I expected in exchange for brewing my recipe.

Latest posts

Back