Opinions, suggestions, Please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKnewbrews

Reaction score
So I have had this German Alt beer using 1007 yeast fermenting in the primary since December 16th at around 65 to 69 degrees. It has been over 2 weeks and I took the first post fermentation gravity reading today. The OG was 1.061 (seemed high to me) and the gravity now is 1.028. I am going to check it again in a few days to see if it's done. (the 1.028 seems high to me too for over 2 weeks).

Anyways, what I really want to know is what are peoples opinions for this type of beer and the yeast I have used.:
-cold crashing the primary, then rack to secondary (or bottle?)
-racking to secondary and "lager" it for some period of time
-just rack to secondary
-just finish primary fermentation

how's it taste? and what kind of flavor profile were you going for? the high sg could also be from stirred up dissolved solids in the fluid (hop solids, hot/cold break proteins that ended up getting transferred to the carboy, cocoa powder, etc), not necessarily extra sugar. when in doubt, let it sit

It tastes good, like an Altbier should, all hop bitterness, not a lot of flavor and aroma, traditional German dark beer taste. No obvious taste of alcohol, but obvious effect of alcohol. I would like it to clear some more though, which is one of the reasons for the suggestions anyone may have.

I think if it clears and carbonates, it will be a great beer, especially served chilled.

I had never heard of a Dopplesticke, but after some research, I can see why you say that. Thats interesting. I will have to see what the FG ends up being here in a few days.

It's been a steady 33 to 40 degrees F outside that past week and I am tempted to rack into secondary and leave it outside for a couple days. Does that sound like a decent idea?. As long as the temp stays in this range, I am comfortable letting sit outside and keeping an eye on outside temp.

This is only my second batch of brew, but willing to experiment by any means.

I feel like an Alt should get a decent amount of time in the cold, as I have researched and read in books anyways. Typically, it is more of a lager that tends to get its characteristics from cold fermentation/conditioning.

Back