Opinions on this hop schedule? (AIPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agtronic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got an IPA fermenting right now. It's my first attempt at an IPA so I went off of what I have read in books and on the web.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1203782/american-ipa-recipes/bonaventure-ipa

Now I understand that taste is subjective, but my question is this: I was planning on dry hopping with 1oz. Cascade and 1oz. Centennial. Do you think it is overkill considering I already used 6 oz. in late additions?

The smell coming from the fermenter is definitely very hoppy, but I don't know if that is something to go on.

Just thought I'd ask since I am racking to secondary pretty soon.

Thanks for reading!

I'm just not sure what I'm doing. I put in way more hops than I ever did in late additions and I know an IPA should be hoppy, but having never made one I'm not sure how strong it will come out. (hop flavor).

Also, the grain bill is much maltier than what a normal IPA would be, so again, don't want to cause a conflict on the palate. I think I'll just dry hop as I originally intended and adjust next time.

Thanks for the input!

That should be an amazing hop combination. Cascade + Centennial is one of my favorites, with the Falconer's added that should be really interesting!

Quick update:

I tasted it when racking to secondary and I must say I was a bit overwhelmed by the hops taste. The bitterness is EXACTLY where I like it, but my first impression is the hops are just taking over. I'd venture to say too much for my taste.

Looking at many other recipes, I'm noticing this hop schedule looks more appropriate for an imperial IPA (with perhaps a bit more bittering hops). There's a total of 6oz in the last 15 minutes. Maybe I should have cut that in half.

Regardless, I dry hopped as I originally intended. I'd rather stick to the plan and learn by doing.

I also feel it may be early to judge. I'll let everyone know how it tastes in a month ...

add_more_hops.gif

Latest posts

Back