Opinions on this grain bill, for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agtronic

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could get an opinion on this recipe. The hops schedule was thrown together and I have not yet researched that portion of it. I will work that out later.

I'm concerned with getting a good tasty malt profile. I have made a few good beers so far, one of which is an APA which I dry hopped. The hops profile was perfect but I found the malt profile to be very one dimensional. That one consisted of 2 cans of light LME and a half pound of British 60-80°L crystal. I mean it's a decent beer but I find the malt flavor boring.

For this one I decided to add the crystal and Victory because that's what I happen to have "in stock".

I don't have much experience with IPA. I have only tasted one "Corne du diable" from "Dieu du ciel" brewery. I absolutely loved it, and the malt was really a rich complex flavor, but in no way interfered or fought for attention against the hops.

Anyone have an opinions or tips?

Thanks for your time!

http://hopville.com/recipe/1190283/american-ipa-recipes/markkus-ipa

Looks pretty solid to me for a more malt-backed IPA. 1# if crystal is a fair amount, I might suggest backing off that a bit, maybe 3/4#? But I think you're fine either way.
Since you have 2-row, I'm guessing you're doing a partial mash? I'd mash a little high, perhaps ~154F (um, ~67C for the Quebecois :))? Should get you some solid body too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

So what happens when you add too much crystal, is perceived as too much sweetness? (Like when coffee is too sweet?)

You think I should use two lbs. of Pilsener instead of the 2-row? Will that give it a more interesting profile? Would Munich be more suitable as compared to Victory?

I was thinking of maybe some Pilsener DME instead of the corn sugar.

Just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks again!

Yea, too much crystal will come across as sweet and overly caramel.
If you're shooting for a maltier IPA, then stick to the 2-row. Munich could work well as well. I'd probably do the Victory still though.

Honestly it's just nit picking at this point. I think you have a solid recipe. The more I think about it, stick to the 1# of Crystal. If you want a solidly malt-backed IPA, ~15% of specialty malts is a good place to be. I'd also stick to the sugar instead of DME as it will help dry it out a tad.

I'd cut both the victory and the crystal to .5 pound for each in an IPA. Sometimes I don't use crystal at all in an IPA, because I think crystal/caramel malts can cause a bit too much "thickness" and a sweet finish in an IPA.

Thanks for the input! As I understand it, Victory is not a malt that will add any sweetness to the beer correct? If so, what would be the reason for backing it off? My aim is to get a more interesting malt flavor than just using light LME without necessarily making it sweeter.

Thanks everyone!

Okay, I'm working out the hops schedule now. What do you guys think of it? Do you think there are too many late additions? Should I drop the 15 minute additions, or reduce in any specific area? Do you think this will come across as over the top?

I had to drop the Amarillo because I can't find anyone who's got it in stock. I think this may be better also so that I can get a better feel for how these hops taste. (I'm still very new to all of this.) I even considered doing only one hop variety just to learn them one by one, but I'm worried the hop flavor may come out "1 dimensional?" Correct me if I'm wrong.

New link: http://hopville.com/recipe/1203782/american-ipa-recipes/markkus-ipa-2

Thanks guys!

Back