Opinions on Mr. Beer fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoidberg

Reaction score
I like to do experimental batches a lot and do 1 gallon or 2 gallon batches in my 3 gallon carboy and split bigger batches (4 or 5 gallon) into smaller batches for oak aging or adding fruit or dry hopping portions of batches.

I had a mr. beer fermenter when I first start which is no longer with us. Haha for real though it fell off a table when it was full of beer and smashed....it blew all over the kitchen, it was worth mourning, the beer and my first fermenter.

They are on sale for $10 http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/377

My only concerns is that they really don't have an airlock and can basically let in air from outside fermenter. So any beer aged would have to be moved into gallon carboys to age, which isn't a terrible option for me.

Could the lid be modified to be airtight. Thinking along the lines of lining the threads with electrical tape and drilling a hole for airlock.

Any other concerns or advantages anybody has to using these porter 2 gallon fermenters or bottling buckets?

I've heard of them being modified for an airlock, but I never bothered. I use it for cider mostly, and I don't age that in the LBK, I just bottle it once the yeast drops and age it in the bottles. I've done a cyser and a sweet mead the same way. Beer test batches, again, same thing.

I like my Mr. Beer fermenter a lot for the size and convenience. I'm sure you know, since you used to have one. I just started a batch of ESB in it on Saturday, my 4th since Christmas. I've thought about the fact that it doesn't have a "real" airlock, but I've never had a batch go bad. OTOH, I don't age beer in it. I ferment for 3 weeks, then bottle carb and age in the bottle.

I don't see why you couldn't seal the vents, then drill the top and add a rubber airlock grommet as used in the plastic fermenting buckets. I don't know if I'd use tape to seal. Maybe hot melt glue?

Back