Opinions Needed On My Electric Brewery Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well got the final hard water line in
tap.jpg

My order from brewers hardware shipped,

and orders are shipped from Auber and elecdirect for the panel components.

Ill post pictures once all those are in.

next up is plumbing the table, installing a drain system and wiring for the control panel.

Some updates from this weekend.

Got my order from Brewers Hardware, looks like quality parts, the tri-clamp heating element is going to work GREAT!

Picture%20061.jpg

Then we got started on the mounting system for the table. Using some fence clamps, 2x4's and a 2x8 We came up with a great way to mount all the plumbing without damaging the table
Picture%20049.jpg

Here we mounted the CFC off a hose holder.

Picture%20050.jpg

Then because if youre going to do something, you might as well do it better we went and plumbed in a water system for the kettles. The system for the BK will only be used for cleaning, so it is offset so its not over the kettle when its boiling. We also cut a pour spout so it wont splash. Going from 1/2" copper to 1" PVC will slow down the flow rate so it wont splash all over the place when water is added.

Picture%20053.jpg

Picture%20055.jpg

Picture%20058.jpg

Picture%20060.jpg

In the last picture you can see we will be mounting another 2x4 that will hold the water filter and the valves that control flow to the kettles or the CFC.

Hey Raskal, I may have missed this somewhere. Did you have a source for the ss table?

Hey Raskal, I may have missed this somewhere. Did you have a source for the ss table?

I found it on craigs. Search for "prep table" or if you have any restaurant supply / auction places near you these are always there. I got this for far less then building a wood stand and its much easier to clean.

Have been making some progress. Got the TC ferrules burned in yesterday. Anyone in northern Colorado looking for some welding work should call Jack Daniels @ 970-214-2692 He did a great job at an affordable price.

62.jpg

63.jpg

Next is a teaser from lschiavo who is wiring up my control panel. Looks like an Auber switch went bad so im in contact to get that replaced

cp1.jpg

cp2.jpg

Spoke with my HVAC buddy, next up is getting the hood and ventilation in.

Im not sure about the first one yet, half wants to do something easy to test everything out, the other half of me wants to push the system. I did see one for a lemon/lime hefe that looks interesting.

Thanks to lschiavo there is 34lbs of electrical goodies headed my way. Spoke with my HVAC friend, going to work on plumbing the hood system and get the electrical done. Then just need to wire in the panel, elements and pumps.

Thanks to lschiavo there is 34lbs of electrical goodies headed my way. Spoke with my HVAC friend, going to work on plumbing the hood system and get the electrical done. Then just need to wire in the panel, elements and pumps.

Looks like it halfway there now! There is a small brown paper bag mixed in with the brown paper packing. That's your temp probe and spare parts...so don't throw it out! I thought about putting a few brews in there but a beer soaked brew panel probably wouln't work so well.

I'm looking forward to some updates. Especially once you're actually brewing. It should all work first try...if not...you know where to find me. Good luck with the rest of the build.

So a lot going on so its been a bit so I thought I would update progress. I got my panel from lschiavo, and all the cords. The Tri-clamp element enclosures are here as well as the rest of the bits like quick disconnects and hoses. Now waiting on my buddy to wire everything up, then comes the first wet test!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

raskal said:
So a lot going on so its been a bit so I thought I would update progress. I got my panel from lschiavo, and all the cords. The Tri-clamp element enclosures are here as well as the rest of the bits like quick disconnects and hoses. Now waiting on my buddy to wire everything up, then comes the first wet test!

Glad to see you back. I was hoping you didn't get electrocuted or something.

I saw a thread where you can add a 3 position switch for reset and pause on the timer. I would have suggested it earlier but I never used one of those timers before. It should be easy to add and seems like it would make the timer a bit easier to use. Just a thought ...

Kal's setup is running off a 30A breaker, but he uses 20A terminal strips in his build. I'm trying to understand why this works. Can anyone chime in?

His site says the 7A fuse is used to protect the smaller 14 gauge wires. I'm wondering how many Amps are drawn across each hot leg of the heating elements?

smoothlarryhughes said:
His site says the 7A fuse is used to protect the smaller 14 gauge wires. I'm wondering how many Amps are drawn across each hot leg of the heating elements?

I'm sure the element is tapped off ahead of the fusing. A 15A fuse will protect #14 just fine and its easier to find.

How many amps are being drawn on across each hot leg on a 5500 watt element? I'm just trying to understand...is it half the amperage or the full amperage? Sorry for all the questions...new to electric and trying to understand how everything is working. I'm looking to use the same wiring diagram in this thread and just curious which terminal strips to use and what gauge wires are needed.

How many amps are being drawn on across each hot leg on a 5500 watt element? I'm just trying to understand...is it half the amperage or the full amperage? Sorry for all the questions...new to electric and trying to understand how everything is working. I'm looking to use the same wiring diagram in this thread and just curious which terminal strips to use and what gauge wires are needed.

P=IV. Power(Watts)=I(current)xV(voltage). 5500W/240V=I(current).

The reason Kal can use 20AMP term strips is because the heating elements don't go through them.
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=13

If you want to wire yours through them you will need 30AMP strips or higher.

Yea, go with 5500W then if you haven’t purchased them yet, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Your dryer outlet is 30A I assume? 5500W will pull 25A, and then you will have some room for your 110 items (pumps, PID, etc).

I just found a table, at the bottom of page of this link: http://www.brewmation.com/Panels.html.

10 gallons from 70F to 160F, it says 4500W will take 34 minutes, and 5500W will take 27 minutes. So not a huge difference, but will probably save you 15-20 minutes over the course of Mash/Sparge/Boil heating.

I threw around the idea of possible running my circuit for 50 amps and being able to do two batches at the same time, but decided that the extra costs and hassle to go 50 amps wasn’t really worth it. If I want to do a double batch, I will just pull out my dusty propane burner to heat the second batches mash/sparge water while the first batch is boiling. The second batch will be ‘off the grid’ and there will be no I/O from my PID until the first boil is done. I’ll probably time it so that I wont need temp control, just let the cooler MLT hold the second batch mash/sparge temps for the hour or so during boiling of the first batch. Then temporarily turn off the BK element, drain batch 1 to fermentor, drain batch 2 mash/sparge to BK, and fire the element back up with the same PID settings to finish Batch 2's boil.

My solution to this was using a 100 amp subpanel with two 30amp GFIs in it, fed by my load center on a 2pole 60 amp circuit.

My panel is two sided and fully redundant. I can fire both sides with 5500w at the same time, including my hlt stir motor, and pumps for my herms and the whole 9 yards.

The cost wasn't that much more over all for the control panel parts. Just another contactor and terminal block, plus whatever bells and whistles I wanted for each side.

Understand this is not for everyone, but the wiring and hardware is fairly cheap. If you want to go really cheap you could always use two ge spa panels running into your control panel as well.

Trying to make some progress here!

Long story short I went with a GFCI breaker rather than a spa panel just to keep everything clean, and easily removable should I move.

22.jpg

Pulled cable, and ITS ALIVE!!!

24.jpg

Getting the final parts together, I have to wire the elements, tap a hole for a sight glass and we should be good for a water test.

Hopefully have all that done this weekend.

More updates.

Got the elements Wired up and installed in the Tri-Clamp Fitting from Brewers Hardware

035.jpg

036.jpg

032.jpg

Connected everything, and we have ignition!
034.jpg

033.jpg

Held water just fine. My step bits should be here on wednesday to finish the sight glass, and then the setup should be ready for a full blown test.

More progress, less than 60 days till the wedding so Im under the gun.

Last major bit was to finish up the water system. I wanted one input to be able to control multiple outputs.

Everything is hardlined so its out of the way, Ill explain then pictures.

From the hose bib on the wall I used a washing machine connection, its premade at 6 feet, can handle pressure and water. Only thing is its dual female end.

We found an adapter so the hose can go into the system. From there water is fed through a water filter. Once through the water filter, I can valve it to go to the HLT, BK or the CFC ( Yes I know ill be running filtered water through the CFC, but for the relative cost of filters, VS - running all new copper to bypass it didnt seem like a big deal)

So we gave it a test, no leaks! Next is the sight glass, then running lots hot water through it to clean the system out, then a brew day. :rockin:

Picture%20037.jpg

Picture%20038.jpg

Picture%20039.jpg

Picture%20040.jpg

Picture%20041.jpg

Picture%20042.jpg

Picture%20043.jpg

Picture%20044.jpg

Well i did my first test batch last night. I had done some work for a local brewery so I took payment in a bag of random malt - they weren't sure what it was, I'm thinking its a 70-80 Crystal. But I figured it would be good enough to do a test batch.
IMG_1368.jpg

Plus I had some other malts around that I threw in, so I dub this Mystery Beer.

Everything went pretty well, some snafu's but they will be worked out.

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

In terms of the 5 gallon, WAY faster. Ill be interested it see how it does on a full batch. Also the manual mode in the PID works great, I was able to hold a nice even but not violent boil at ~40% which was nice.

Did my first big batch last night ~12 gallons. I was a bit too cautious on the boil, I kept the % low fearing a boil over, I believe I can run on 100% for much longer - but lesson learned. Need to dial in the march pump a bit better, but everything else is working great. Ill be doing a wheat beer this weekend. :mug:

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

Latest posts

Back