Opinions/critiques on how I am about to bottle/keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkUncle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 6 gallons of pumpkin beer ready to be bottled/kegged. Here is my plan. Tell me if I am doing something wrong or if I should do something differently please.

I will drop my 6 gallons into my bottling bucket mixing with 5.03oz. of corn sugar as per Beersmith. I will then bottle 24 16oz. swing cap bottles. This is exactly 3 gallons bottled. I will then put the remaining ~3 gallons into a 5 gallon corny keg and let it naturally carbonate in there. Once the beer is in the keg and I close it up, I will add cO2 and blow it off a few times to get the oxygen out. Then I will put in about 12 psi just to hold the cap tight, disconnect the gas and put the keg in a dark closet along with the bottles.

Does this all sound correct? Should I be concerned with possible overcarbonation of the beer in the keg seeing as how it is naturally carbonating along with having 12psi cO2 already in there?

Thanks

The 12 psi to shut the keg lid is just that, 12 pounds per square inch of whatever head spaces is there. Its not that much and so its not really going to affect the carbonation level. The keg will naturally carb and be fine. If it is slightly overcarbed when you hook it up, you can always purge the keg a few times to get it down.

Also, the keg can be stored in the same space as the bottles, but light can't break through the keg so it doesn't have to be a dark place :)

I've never naturally carbed in the keg before but, I think you use less priming sugar than you would when you bottle condition. Would adding the sugar then splitting it between the keg and bottles make the beer in the keg overcarbed?? Anyone?

Back