Operation: Find the Shittiest Deal on MyBeerCellar.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand the selling mentality. Not a fan of it and what it does to bottle releases, but I understand it. Where there are desirable goods, people are going to profit.

Note that you can't sell anything on MBC that wasn't released more than a year ago, so I'm not sure it affects current bottle releases that much. Most people aren't really into the long-term investment game when it comes to beer.

As a buyer though? Those prices are insane. Sure, if you really want a bottle of Dark Lord and don't have the means of easily attaining/trading for it, then $50 or whatever isn't going to break the bank. But much of that site seems to be $100+ per bottle. I've never tried a beer that was worth anything close to $100, and I've had most of the supposedly "best" beers out there.

I'm sure you've had beers that sell for $100+ on MBC. You probably have some in your cellar, for that matter. I agree, I wouldn't buy at those prices if I couldn't also sell at those prices. But, most of us who trade a lot have bottles we could sell and then turn around and buy different stuff that we want.

Then you pile the questionable storage conditions on top of many of these aged beers, and the whole thing just seems like a big inside joke.

How's that any different than trading?

Last edited:
Note that you can't sell anything on MBC that wasn't released more than a year ago, so I'm not sure it affects current bottle releases that much. Most people aren't really into the long-term investment game when it comes to beer.
That's what mybeercollectibles.com is for
It's the red headed stepchild of the grey market beer world.
$400 satsuma flora? They got that!

I'm sure you've had beers that sell for $100+ on MBC. You probably have some in your cellar, for that matter. I agree, I wouldn't buy at those prices if I couldn't also sell at those prices. But, most of us who trade a lot have bottles we could sell and then turn around and buy different stuff that we want.

How's that any different than trading?

I guess I can see it that way. You're effectively leveraging it as a trading platform.

Only real difference is if I get a bad beer, with trading I'm only out the 20 bucks or whatever that the beer I'm giving up cost me. Not $200 I may have spent on the beer on MBC.

That said, that's also one of the major reasons why I don't trade for old beers. Some of those bottles are traded around like hot potatoes and stored god knows how. I refuse to believe that half of them even taste like they should at this point.

I'd pay a considerable amount for a lot of things.

What sucks is it is like somehow those MBC people know exactly what I *would* pay for a beer and then they double it.

So I get mad at them for being greedy ****ers.

Two days later the beer is *sold* and I get mad at myself for apparently being a cheap ass tight wad.

It's worth searching the "sold" items, not just the current listings. KH currently goes for $125.

I agree the price is ridiculous and far beyond fair market value. However, if this is the only King Henry currently for sale and a person with a sufficient net worth really wants it right now, they buy it and give zero ****s about what is costs. People like this exist. It only takes one to make the deal happen.

The seller doesn't want to sell his King Henry for anything less than an exorbitant price that someone might be willing to pay. Not a bad strategy.

Is Don Q really worth $1500? The answer depends on how much money you have and how badly you want to drink it. I'm pretty sure less than 0.001% of beer drinkers in the word would consider it to be a worthwhile expense.

While it is quite expensive, the asking price as a set of 8 is considerably more reasonable than a significant portion of the site's listings. Honestly, if I had the kind of cash to justify a purchase that pricey, I would seriously consider buying this.

You'd drop 1500 bucks for a knock-off geuze, a knock-off fruited lambic, an over the hill peach wild, a bottle of peach acetone, a vintage bottle of acetone, and two pickle beers?

You'd drop 1500 bucks for a knock-off geuze, a knock-off fruited lambic, an over the hill peach wild, a bottle of peach acetone, a vintage bottle of acetone, and two pickle beers?

Knock-off or not, the original batch of DDG was one of the best things I've ever had. As to the rest, I have not had them, but have wanted them for years. Certainly I won't be buying this lot...it probably is more than I spend in a year on beer these days. But it strikes me as fair pricing given the supply of these bottles, and the demand for them.

While the majority of the beers on MBC are obscenely expensive, every once in a while you will actually find a decent deal on there. For example:

http://www.mybeercellar.com/?itm=6599

If I recall, Bruery anniversary beers retail for around $30-$35. I'd pay an extra $10 for something that's aged a couple years, that I can't get on the shelves anymore, and that requires zero bottles leaving my own cellar.

The fact Mikesgroove is still out there selling beer is hilarious. That dude either has brass balls the size of those kickballs you used in grade school or literally has NO soul
I noticed he was on MBC a few months ago slinging BADLs. I shook my head, notified oldp0rt (troll..), and moved on.

What a **** head.

Someone was actually asking for $400 for a glass? And someone else actually bought it?

476.gif

$400 doesn't seem unreasonable if it were actually the real thing, rather than a fake such as the one sold.

On the first BA thread I personally saw about the Iris glass, an offer of Framboos 2011 + Narke Stormkatsporter was turned down for one.

which means they will be for sale on Cantillon's webstore, etre and biab for $20-30 with shipping in the near term.

That poor stupid bastard.

Well it remains to be seen whether the bar that was using them for zwanze day had them made up or if cantillon actually licensed them.

$400 doesn't seem unreasonable if it were actually the real thing, rather than a fake such as the one sold.

I just cannot fathom this. Yes, it is rare, but it is just glassware. Ultimately, any other similarly designed glass would work as well for drinking, so I realize it is about collecting it. But it just boggles the mind that somebody would pay that for a single beer glass, especially when they are obviously a beer fan and could buy a considerable amount of beer (or one or two whales) for that price.

Back