Open transfer from Speidel to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownyard

Reaction score
Tomorrow, I'll be doing my first transfer from Speidel 30L spigot to keg. I'm not ready to jump into closed transfer quite yet, but had a few questions. I've removed the airlock and replaced with the screw on cap, and put the fermenter into the fridge for a cold crash. Can I leave the cap screwed on while transferring from the spigot to keg, or should I take it off or loosen it? Will 1/2 tubing work ok if I just slip it over the spigot? Any other tips are welcome.

The cold crash will have created a vacuum in the Speidel. If you try to transfer with the cap still screwed on I'm pretty sure you will suck air in through the spigot before anything starts come out of the spigot. Loosening the cap will suck air in too but will allow you gravity transfer out the spigot if you keep the cap loose.

I don't recall the size of my old Speidel spigot, half insh sound about right but could b 3/8".

I have same fermenter, doing it the way you've outlined, you will need to loosen the top cap to allow some airflow. I anticipate once you loosen that cap, you will get a considerable amount of air getting sucked in due to the pressurization from cold crashing.

1/2" tubing will work, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it w/o a clamp of some type on there. I use 3/8" vinyl tubing when I transfer from mine and haven't had any issues w/the metal spigot.

Went off without a hitch. So much easier than bottling. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back