Open sigot- rookie mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmore71

brewmore71
Reaction score
Hello, pretty new to homebrewing- on my 7th brew and I'm hooked!
While getting ready to bottle 5g batch of Holiday Ale the other night, after adding priming solution to bucket i proceeded to siphon from primary then left the area to do some quick sanitizing.
Came back few minutes later to see beer pouring out of spigot. Quickly turned off after losing about two bottles.
Instantly my concern was that all priming solution was near bottom and I'm not sure how much was left for carbonating 4.5 gallons of beer.
I bottled and will hope for the best but has this happened to anyone and if so, did your beer carbonate okay????

Deja vu.... I've been there, including the two weeks of wondering. Mine did in fact turn out fine. Even though it would be a PITA, you can save yours even if it doesn't carb quite enough for you. AFTER your sure your initial priming sugar has done its bidding, check the carb. If its not enough, pop the caps and dose with 1 or maybe two carb tabs and recap.

Glad you're brew turned out okay.
I only hope that i have learned something from this and I think Im going to mark the spigot lever with green/red marker just to be safe-
Thanks for the help!!

Cheers!

My guess is that it should be ok but as irishred said, if it seems like you aren't getting enough carb, just pop the tops and add sugar and recap. But I can now guarantee that you'll check the spigot from now on.

Back