Open Fire Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewde

Reaction score
Thought I'd post the wood fired boil I did over the weekend. I've seen this question asked a few times but I'm not sure there's been an answer to this extent yet. I've attached a picture, but it was taken before I actually got a boil. In the picture the grates were set up wrong and I was burning the wrong wood at the wrong settings. The grill can handle 2.5 gallons and the setup can probably be scaled up to 5 gallons pretty easy with some basic metalworking skills. I do a lot of barbecuing and have cooked most of my dinners on wood fires this summer, but there was definitely still a learning curve on this one. Like taking almost 2 hours to boil water kind of learning curve, but now I have a new brewing method out of it.

It didn't take a lot for the wheels to start turning on this. Propane is getting more expensive on pretty much every trip to fill up the tank, the yard is filled with seasoned wood, and the pot for partial boils fits on the grill. I learned a lot about boiling water during the 75 minute boil:

Grate size needs to be as small as safely possible. I took almost an hour of trying to get a boil before I realized I was heating up way more metal than was necessary and heat isn't exactly plentiful in this setup.

Hardwoods are essential. I started with sassafras because it's so readily available here and is worthless our wood stove, but couldn't maintain the heat without using hardwoods. I got best results from an oak/wild cherry mix.

Small fires burn cleaner. Using a smaller and hotter fire gives you less smoke, so less smoke goes in the beer. This is where the hardwoods come in, they burn hotter. If you use a hardwood, burn hot, and keep the lid on for most of the boil, a clean tasting lager probably would even be able to be done this way. This batch has a definite oak cask characteristic already because of so much smoke in the beginning of the burn when I didn't have everything set up right, mostly just from too much wood on the fire.

Some type of oxygen control is essential. I'm not sure how this would have ended up if I didn't have a direct way of controlling my flame the same way as a burner. I could lift the tray for the fire to the bottom of the pot to smother it if things got too hot and drop it to allow more air flow, but there's countless ways of controlling the flame.

IMG_1450.jpg

If you use a hardwood, burn hot, and keep the lid on for most of the boil, a clean tasting lager probably would even be able to be done this way.

A dark lager, perhaps, but boiling with the lid on using pilsner malt would likely lead to unhappy results.

Still, kudos on your effort. You're a braver brewer than I...

Cheers! :)

A dark lager, perhaps, but boiling with the lid on using pilsner malt would likely lead to unhappy results.

I'm not too familiar with pilsner malts, most of my brews fall at least at 10 SRM. What kind of flavors should be developing or driven off with pilsner? I was thinking about 20 minutes uncovered and the remaining part covered though. I saw where DMS is an issue and some recommend a 90 minute boil, is it enough of a problem that pilsner has to be boiled uncovered for a full 90 minutes? Sorry for all the questions, I've never used the malt.

Here's an update on what came from this. It was a wheat beer so fortunately could be spicy, and it was. Nitric acid is pretty prominent in it, think of the the flavor most smoked meats have in common if you're not familiar with it. There's a smokey, spicy, peppercorn flavor that I was expecting but I got much stronger than I anticipated, that usually comes from the wild cherry. It also has an oaked side. It's overall a very complex flavor to the point that the hefeweizen yeast wasn't discernible from any of the other spiciness. I'll definitely be doing this method again, but only on wheats, IPAs (think this would add a whole new dynamic to them), and porters or stouts. As far as getting something mild tasting or a BMC clone this way, good luck, you'll need it.

Thanks for the update. Sorry to not have responded to your question re: pilsner malts in the BK earlier. Totally missed it.

While all malt fermentations will produce DMS to some degree, the lightest kilned malts are at the high end of the curve. If you don't boil such malts (with some vigor) for a full 90 minutes sans lid to drive off DMS precursors you can end up with a cooked creamed corn character that may not be desirable (though for some styles a bit of that character actually is to form).

It somehow has been calculated that ~80% of DMS in the most lightly kilned malts is dissipated during a 90 minute open boil, hence the recommendation...

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure I'll stick with a few hundred years of brewing practice on this one - even without that author's bet hedging on his one "experiment"...

Cheers! ;)

I think Orfy had a thread from back in the day about brewing over an open fire.....including mashing (using no thermometers). I was inspired, but never did it....

Try setting a 3' piece of stove pipe on the grill next to the pot. It will heat up quickly and give you chimney action moving most of the smoke up and away from your beer. It really does work.
Great brewing btw, use what you have available and keep it simple. I'm a long ways from simple yet but getting there

Back