Open fermentation in a keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patthebrewer

Reaction score
Okay folks time for some hypothetical brewing:D. Before the days of vast uni-tanks, and close system brewing, all beer was brewed open. In fact there are a few craft breweries that include open fermenters in there list of equipment. Many, claim that this style of fermentation produces a richer ester profile, and an interesting unique flavor to lagers, that isn't possible with modern tradition closed systems. Brewers that practice this also claim to get many more generations of yeast out of it that can be produced via closed brewing. Typically fermenters of this type are wide and shallow, mostly to allow for proper cooling and increase flavor profile (although I'm sure there are other benefits). However this, style of fermenter is mostly unpractical for the average home brewer, due to size, clean up, and the ability to provide a clean environment.
What about a Keg (Corny with lid removed)??? Has anyone open fermented in a keg before??
I understand that the size and shape is considered not ideal for this. The main reason would be cooling right? What if you used a temp control freezer as your fermentation chamber as many of us do (including me!) You can keep the environment relatively clean in those circumstances, and control fermentation temps very well (In my experience) Also, by removing the drain plug in the bottom of the freezer it would be easy to clean (ask me how I know;)) Obviously you would need to pay close attention to your pitch rate. The co2 being off gassed would be trapped by the sides of the keg to offer a protective blanket to your fermenting beer. Indeed, thru displacing the 02, may even fill your freezer with a protective layer of co2.
What would be the potential benefits, and detriments to doing this??

What are your thoughts?

In the modern open fermenters that I have seen, the beer is chilled prior to entering the fermenter. While I have not tried open fermenting in a corny keg, I am sure it can be done. Personally, I would cool your wort to a desired pitching temp (typically on the low end of the temp range for the yeast), pitch an appropriate amount of yeast and ferment. Having a clean room is trypically the hardest part of true open fermentation for a home brewer.

I have fermented "open" by covering the carboy opening with sanitized paper towels, but I didn't really notice a difference in the finished product when using this technique. I covered the top because I didn't want any bugs (actual insects, not bacteria "bugs") getting into my brew.

Back