Oops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtlasMaxx

Reaction score
I forgot to check the Final Gravity in my beer before i kegged it. Is there a way to get an accurate reading after carbonation?. I do have a refractometer.

Skip the refractometer and use a hydrometer since there's alcohol present. Pour a small sample and let it sit out for a few hours to degas, you can stir it occasionally to speed things up.

I forgot to check the Final Gravity in my beer before i kegged it. Is there a way to get an accurate reading after carbonation?. I do have a refractometer.

I believe you can, hopefully someone else will confirm this for you.

1. Draw a sample of beer and let it sit in a gravity reading tube, or since you have a refractometer you could probably just draw some beer and let it sit in a glass.
2. Let the beer sit in the tube or glass overnight, or maybe longer, so all the carbonation leaves the beer. Cover the liquid so there is no evaporation.
3. Measure once all the carbonation is gone.

I read somewhere on this forum a few months back that pouring the sample back and forth between 2 glasses might help speed up the "de-gassing" process.

Back