Oops! Way too much oak...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selophayne

Reaction score
Hey all. Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been doing extract brewing from kits/recipes for a few months now, and I've got my 5th batch fermenting as I type. So far I've been able to answer all my questions by searching old posts. This forum is a gold mine of information, so thanks for that!

Anyway, for my fourth batch, I brewed an DIPA via this kit. I decided to add an oaky flavor, so I picked up a 1oz bag of oak chips from my LHBS and added them (steamed) to my secondary along with the dry hops and let that sit for 2 weeks before bottling. It was in bottles for about 1 week when I went back to my LHBS and was looking at the oak chips again a realized the bag I had purchased was in fact a 4oz bag of chips. Oops! So I cracked my first bottle yesterday (after 2.5 weeks in the bottle) and the initial taste is great, but it quickly fades to an aftertaste that makes me feel like I just chewed on a chunk of oak.

It's still palatable, but the oak is clearly too strong. I'm a bit of a hop head, so I was really looking forward to this brew and getting some fresh hop flavor out of it. Not that it's ruined by any means, just not what I was hoping for. Oh darn, I might have to make it again... I plan on letting that batch sit in the closet for a month or 2 in hopes that the oakiness will fade.

I guess I'm posting this for 2 reasons:
1) To ask the following: Do I have any hope here? Will the oak fade before the hop flavor and aroma mellow out?
2) To share this advice: READ THE PACKAGING. I certainly will from now on.

Welcome!

Yes, the oak will age out. In my case, I used one ounce of oak for 3 gallons for about 10 days in July. By October, the beer was still oak-y, but not too bad. By Christmas, it was fantastic!

Unfortunately, the hops aroma for the IPA will also fade while waiting for the oak to mellow. If that's the case, call it a barleywine, or an oaked American amber and enjoy it anyway. It'll still be very good even without the full hops nose.

If that's the case, call it a barleywine, or an oaked American amber and enjoy it anyway.

But I don't want to rename it. I've already got labels on the bottles and everything. ;)

Oh well, I guess I'll have to brew another one some other time. This one was pretty tame anyway as far as IIPAs go - only 5.9%ABV and relatively low IBU (too lazy to calculate). And from this initial tasting, I'm sure it's still going to taste amazing once the oak fades a bit.

Thanks for the quick replies!

But I don't want to rename it. I've already got labels on the bottles and everything. ;)

:D:D

You know what... I don't normally do this. I'll take that disgusting beer off of your hands. I'd make that sacrifice for you and the homebrewing community.

It will mellow with age, but it won't go away all together. Sounds like it would be more of an English IPA by that time, probably about 4 months.

You know what... I don't normally do this. I'll take that disgusting beer off of your hands. I'd make that sacrifice for you and the homebrewing community.

Shipping will probably cost too much. I'll just dump them all down the sink and free up the bottles. I hope to never again disappoint the homebrewing community by making such a vile and disgusting brew. ;)

As far as the labels go, I was super excited about these. I've been labeling all my brews since the beginning as I really enjoy doing it. I named this one "The Pursuit of Hoppyness" and the label was a play on the DVD cover of the similarly titled Will Smith movie. Now I'll have to rename it "Oakey Dokie" or something...

Oh well, time to toss the cases in the back closet and forget about them for a few months.

I have a stout that has been on oak for about a week now and the oak is really overpowering. I used one oak spiral that sat in a cup of Van Winkle Lot B for a week.

I am thinking I will probably have to age it a while to mellow the oak flavor. Question is should I leave the spiral in there or pull it out?

I have a stout that has been on oak for about a week now and the oak is really overpowering. I used one oak spiral that sat in a cup of Van Winkle Lot B for a week.

I am thinking I will probably have to age it a while to mellow the oak flavor. Question is should I leave the spiral in there or pull it out?

If you are going to continue to leave the beer in primary to mellow, then of course you remove your spiral, or else it will continue to get oaky.

Shipping will probably cost too much. I'll just dump them all down the sink and free up the bottles. I hope to never again disappoint the homebrewing community by making such a vile and disgusting brew. ;)

As far as the labels go, I was super excited about these. I've been labeling all my brews since the beginning as I really enjoy doing it. I named this one "The Pursuit of Hoppyness" and the label was a play on the DVD cover of the similarly titled Will Smith movie. Now I'll have to rename it "Oakey Dokie" or something...

Oh well, time to toss the cases in the back closet and forget about them for a few months.

That's perfect - I'll be in Chicago in June and will pick it up from you then. That way you won't have to worry about suffering through all that oak. LOL! It'll be fine - might even be GREAT by July - perfect summer brew.

If you are going to continue to leave the beer in primary to mellow, then of course you remove your spiral, or else it will continue to get oaky.

I actually have it in a keg now. I guess I should just pull the spiral out then.

I realize that time space and money might be needed, but why not brew another without the oak and blend it in?

Latest posts

Back