OOPS...Too Hot!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donutz

Reaction score
This is my second batch of beer ever... But my fist one without a kit and trying to do a clone recipe. I really thought that I was ready for this and other than this one problem, I seemed to hit everything spot on with temps and times and such!!! Anyhow, I decided to follow the "BYO mags 250 classic clone recipes" recipe for Stone IPA Ruination "Which I found an error..or maybe two in their recipe". I pulled out my stainless steel 12 qt pot and added a gallon of water to it... I put it on the stove and started reading and then I saw that this recipe called for steeping the crushed grains in 3 gallons of water at 149 degrees... clearly a 12 qt pot wouldn't work. So I went and grabbed my turkey fryer pot that I use on the propane.... I had the itch and said I will make this work and used it on the stove top (electric stove). I did the steeping fine but then I had to bring the water to a boil. I put the stove on high and it is getting hot as all get out (stove and everything else but the water is staying around 200ish). Then I started smelling burning... and I was like WTF. I looked under the stove and the white paint was starting to look brown and not looking great! I eventually put a lid on the pot and it brought the temp right up. The rest of the batch seemed to go well. When I transferred everything to the bucket with cold water, I saw that the bottom of the pot now had a black 10" ring where it def. burnt something. It is caked on there too. Hopefully, I didn't completely ruin the beer. I'm sure it won't taste exactly like Ruination IPA... even if I did it right, it still might not since I have seen so many variations... but I'm hoping the beer isn't ruined!!! Has anyone else done an oops like this!?!? How did the beer turn out!!!
BTW, I'm sure some of you are out there saying what a NOOB...or what a Dumb @ss... or whatever!! But when you are new to something like brewing beer...and brewing beer is along the lines of making fresh soup (kind of like cooking) and I don't typically do it unless it consists of meat and is on the grill or smoker... Then I wouldn't have known. Any time you learn something new with no one helping you or showing you, you have to learn the lessons the hard way!!

Is the 10" black ring on the inside of the pot? If so then your wort might have a burnt flavor to it. If on the outside then I bet everything is fine. If you taste the burnt in the (presumably) now fermenting beer then I imagine it will show up after fermenting too. My father-in-law scorched his wort once and it was noticeable in the final beer but definitely drinkable.

It is on the inside!! LOL. It did give the beer a slight smoked/charred flavor.... Sometimes this can be good?!?!? LOL :eek:

Latest posts

Back