Oops. To many Carb Tabs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeedaman21

Reaction score
So I was kegging a batch of ale yesterday and had enough left over for two 12 oz bottles. I proceeded to add 2 Coopers Carbonation Drops to each 12 oz bottle (double what I was supposed to). I didn't realize it till today.. I almost hurt myself by laughing. Its only been one day in the bottle, but what should I expect from these? I'm guessing that I have bottle bombs sitting in my closet, and I know that I will need to drink them quick. The question is, how long should I give it before I open them and "salvage" them into my tummy? I want to be able to enjoy them carbonated, but also don't want to have beer and glass shards all over my closet. Thanks for the help! :cross:

I've doubled carb tabs before, for a berliner weiss. I don't recommend it as a standard course of action, but I'd say it's even odds that you're ok.

I had bottle bombs once when I first started brewing and tried using honey to carb. I just put the bottles in an igloo cooler and left them till they stopped popping (most of them were actually undercarbed, but the honey mixed poorly and got some of them *really* carbed). If you're worried about it, you could take a similar approach until you feel safe with them. You could also give it another day, then carefully pop the top, let off the pressure and recap them.

I'd give them another day or so then pop them open and recap them to let off a bit of the pressure. Should still be plenty of sugar left to be eaten by the yeast (edit: Darvin beat me to it!). Then give them a week or two at room temp and stick 'em in the fridge just to be safe. It's just a ballpark guess, but they should be carbed but not explosive. Just an educated guess though.

Latest posts

Back