Oops...Sulfate/chloride ratio 17.7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyBlueprints

Reaction score
Did a SMaSH IPA. Used Palmers spreadsheet to adjust my water. I only looked at the individual ranges. Here's what they were

My Calcium: 25ppm Suggested: 50-150
My Magnesium 15ppm Suggested: 0-30
My Total Alkalinity as CaCO3 57ppm Suggested: 40-120
My Sulfate 106ppm Suggested: 100-400
My Chloride 6ppm Suggested: 0-100
My Sodium 17 Suggested: <100
My Residual Alkalinity 30 Suggested: -30-30

My values were mostly inside the range. I didn't pay attention to the S/C ratio. At 17.7 is it going to make my IPA WAY BITTER?

As a reference, my hop schedule for a 6 gallon batch was:
ALL Citra pellet hops:

0.75 oz. 60 min
0.75 oz. 30 min
1 oz. 10 min

BeerSmith calculates 67.1 IBU's.

Brewed Sunday, today is Tuesday. If it's an issue, can/should I add chloride now?

Don't worry about the ratio, worry (but not much) about the individual numbers. I think you'll be fine.

I've started adding a pinch of salt to my brews because the chloride here is really low. Don't know if it helps because I just started it, and that beer is still in the fermenter.

Did a SMaSH IPA. Used Palmers spreadsheet to adjust my water. I only looked at the individual ranges. Here's what they were

My Calcium: 25ppm Suggested: 50-150
My Magnesium 15ppm Suggested: 0-30
My Total Alkalinity as CaCO3 57ppm Suggested: 40-120
My Sulfate 106ppm Suggested: 100-400
My Chloride 6ppm Suggested: 0-100
My Sodium 17 Suggested: <100
My Residual Alkalinity 30 Suggested: -30-30

My values were mostly inside the range. I didn't pay attention to the S/C ratio. At 17.7 is it going to make my IPA WAY BITTER?

As a reference, my hop schedule for a 6 gallon batch was:
ALL Citra pellet hops:

0.75 oz. 60 min
0.75 oz. 30 min
1 oz. 10 min

BeerSmith calculates 67.1 IBU's.

Brewed Sunday, today is Tuesday. If it's an issue, can/should I add chloride now?

Think of the brewing salts just like salt in cooking. Just like a teaspoon of Pepper doesn't "erase" a cup of salt, adding chloride doesn't impact the flavor nuance of sulfate. Pretend you never heard the word "ratio" with regards to chloride or sulfate. It's meaningless. Look at the actual numbers.

I like my ipas with about 150ppm or so of sulfate in most cases, so if anything you're a little low. But since sulfate enhances the perception of dryness in the beer, many people like much more while some like less. When the beer is done, see how you like it. You can even add a tad to the glass. If you like more sulfate, you can add more next time. You'll learn your preferences quickly, and often "less is more" and you might find you like it that way!

Back