Oops. Put DME in at the end.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I did my first brew today and I didn't notice that it was both a LME and a DME and I actually threw the DME at the end with the yeast... Yeah oops. Talk about a silly mistake. What will this do to the beer?

Probably not much. The DME won't fully dissolve, but I'm guessing some will and be utilized by the yeast. I wouldn't be to worried about an infection, either.

To be clear, you didn't boil the yeast, right? This was done cool?

In the future you make that mistake you should boil the DME in water for 10 minutes, cool and then pour it in as a liquid. Some people do that when they add corn sugar.

Like people say, you made beer.

Probably not much. The DME won't fully dissolve, but I'm guessing some will and be utilized by the yeast. I wouldn't be to worried about an infection, either.

To be clear, you didn't boil the yeast, right? This was done cool?

In the future you make that mistake you should boil the DME in water for 10 minutes, cool and then pour it in as a liquid. Some people do that when they add corn sugar.

Like people say, you made beer.

Yeah I transferred to the fermenter and then threw the DME and yeast in ( at a temperature of 70~F). You're right about it not dissolving I would say half of it clumped up. I am more so worried about infection.

Yeah I transferred to the fermenter and then threw the DME and yeast in ( at a temperature of 70~F). You're right about it not dissolving I would say half of it clumped up. I am more so worried about infection.

I heard it's rare to get an infection from extracts.

I mean, what could you do now anyways? RDWHAHB.

I have added DME after cooling to bring up the OG. There's no real issue with that, though when I've intentionally used it I like it pre boil and use LME post boil.

There shouldn't be any issues with infection unless you did something to it or used an unsanitized spoon to stir.

And the yeast will do its work on the clumps too...

You unknowingly stumbled upon a popular technique! Late extract additions are becoming popular with the partial-boil crowd. You're good to go.

Well, late additions typically being done at flame out works well. Adding it when you did would be ok if you stirred it well enough to dissolve all of it.

What I do to avoid missing an ingredient is line them all up on an empty workspace in the order I will use them. For an extract it would be (from left to right) Extracts, hop 1, hop 2, hop 3, thermometer, yeast.

Also, keep in mind that the hops utilizatio wil be different for a lower gravity wort. If you do the recipie again and do it "correctly" the taste will be different. (not better or worse, different).

Back