Oops - Propigator & Activator smack packs are not the same.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swive

Reaction score
Okay - I'm on my third batch - it's a Hefeweizen (from here) and I figured I'd order a smack pack like they recommend. I accidentally got the propigator and not the activator pack. All went well when I smacked it - pouch swelled up and I pitched it into the wort (approx. 70 deg). I have yet to see any activity (pitched yesterday about 3:00 PM). I'm just wondering if this is still going to ferment OK or should I add the dry yeast pack that was also included in my kit?

Also - a second non-related question - anybody know where I can get some really good hefe kits? I have yet to meet a hefe that I didn't like.

Thanks for your help.

-K

Without a starter with liquid yeast (if you do a search for "yeast starter" you'll see what I mean) it may take up to three days or so to have signs of active fermentation. Do don't worry about it yet! I bet you will have some fermentation starting by tomorrow.

I would recommend Austinhomebrew.com, northernbrewer.com, and morebeer.com for kits. I've used all three of them, and been very happy with all of their products. Also, hefes are pretty simple and straightforward, so you could even put together your own "kit" for it very easily. I'm sure we have some recipes in the recipe database here.

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

You're definitely going to have a long lag time, since an Activator is usually considered underpitching, and the Propogator only has 1/3 the yeast as the Activator. It should work, it'll just take longer and may give you a different flavor.

I had the same problem, but I delayed my brew day one week and got the kit. Working great now though. I did my starter probably 38 hours ahead of time. Good luck bro!

Amazingly enough, it started this morning shortly after I made this post. It's not too vigorous yet,but it's steady.

How might it affect the flavor?

Your beer is ruined. You'd better ship it to me for proper disposal. (Bottle it first.)

:D

You had about an 18 hour lag time, which isn't great, but not awful either. Your beer will certainly be drinkable.

I order from Midwest all of the time and usually get the act. pack. However I, like you, did use the prop. pack once without a starter and it did take a while. Everything turned out and the beer was good. I made Hank's Hefe and my wife really liked it. I am not much of a Hefe fan so my opinion doesn't really count. She also loves the Witbier that they put together. I am doing more All Grain now so I haven't ordered a kit for awhile but will be ordering their Beligian Wit soon - she is running out. :)

Thank you for all of the replies -

I wasn't so much worried that it wouldn't turn out OK as I think I've already made a good share of small mistakes with the other two batches I did (both turned out fine), but I was wondering if I should worry about re-pitching. From the responses I got I think I'm OK.

As for those of you who would like me to ship the batch to them, please send me an $80 check (that should just about cover shipping +insurance). :D

Thanks all.

-K

Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. Ordered a kit from Midwest, upgraded to the "smack pack," and only after starting to brew did I notice they had sent me the Propagator, rather than the Activator.

After debating what to do, I decided not to risk pitching the Propagator. Fortunately, a few months earlier, Midwest had made another boo boo with one of my orders, and sent me both dry yeast and a smack pack, so I pitched the dry yeast I had been storing in the fridge. Turned out great.

Moral to the story: Always keep a packet or two of dry yeast on hand in case of emergencies. Cheap insurance.

Has anyone else had this problem with Midwest messing up the yeast order? I've ordered like 4 or 5 times from them, and it's happened twice.

P.S. I did a hefe from Midwest last summer. Strong banana esters from the yeast (Weihenstephan Weizen from Wyeast). A bit too banana-y for my taste.

Ok... so I didn't notice this was an old thread, but...

Yes, midwest has screwed up a yeast order for me. They forgot the W3068 entirely. They sent a new pack (with a free ice pack) but it HAS been sitting in a fedex truck over the weekend in 80 degree heat.... We'll see how it is...

It is currently poofing (It is monday at noon now) and I will probably let it go to wed morning, then I'll toss it in the fridge and brew on Thurs.

Latest posts

Back