Oops, potassium sorbate. What next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The13th

Reaction score
Rather than going to an orchard for cider, like I normally do, I decided to make a new batch using some apple cider I found in my local health food store. I used Zeigler's brand apple cider. The label said "no preservatives" so I thought I was fine, bought 2 gallons of it, and started a new batch this afternoon. As I was rinsing out the empty containers, I happened to read on the label that there was some potassium in it. A visit to the Zeigler's website confirmed my fear that they had added potassium sorbate to the cider as a preservative.

So now my cider has been sitting in the carboy for about 2 hours already and I'm worried that it's not going to ferment. Is there anything I can do?

In addition to 2 gallons of cider, I also used a cup of brown sugar, and a pack of Lalvin D47 yeast. My OG, if it matters, was about 1.05.

You can make a very large starter to try and overcome the sorbate. Sorbate prevents reproduction.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks. When I woke up this morning, I could see that some fermentation is going on. Would it be better to add a starter now or wait until whatever fermentation I currently have comes to a stop?

I may be wrong, but I've heard heat can breakdown the sorbate, but if you have already pitched, that would kill your yeast too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Honestly, I would dump it and try again with something else.

There is no point in wasting all that time for a cider that either wont turn out, or will turn out very bad.

Mopar, if he is like me, he hasn't had all of his fermentors full in over a year. It doesn't cost him anything to let this one ride. He might want to consider starting another to run at the same time though.

Thanks for all of the comments. I'm actually getting the same amount of activity with this batch now as I've gotten with some other batches I made in the past, so I'm going to let this one ride out and see how it goes. I'm guessing because I'm making such a small batch, there was enough yeast to overcome the sorbate at least in the beginning.

If it works out, great. If it doesn't, I'm out 12 bucks and a few weeks of waiting. At any rate, I've learned to read the labels more closely from now on.

Latest posts

Back