Oops, lager IPA – but which carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickbrew

Reaction score
So I brewed up 12 gallons of IPA yesterday and dumped in some Chico Ale yeast from a previous batch in each of two carboys. However, after washing the yeast jars I realized that one of the jars contained S-23 lager yeast, oops. I don’t know which carboy It’s in and I am not sure how one could tell. So now what? I think I’m just going to ferment them both on the cooler side of the ale temperature range and hope for the best unless someone has some other ideas.

I'll try this tonight but there's a tun of late addition hops that could get in the way. Thanks

Well it's about 23 hrs after pitching the yeast and the temp is 63. Fermentation is just getting going and as of yet I can't smell anything different between the two.

Drop them both to 50, the lager will kick in. You can then bring the IPA up to 60 afterwards. That's what I would do anyways.

The ale should start fermenting first since I'm guessing that you under pitched the lager.

At 28 hours after pitching 5 oz of yeast slurry in each of the carboys, they both have about an inch of crausin and smell identical to me, although my sniffer isn't so great. They both smell hoppy, yeasty and slightly malty. They are both at 63 to 64 and at this point I'm just going to ride it out. If I start to smell surfer coming from one I'll put it in the lagerator.

Serendipity IPA?!

48 hrs and I can now sense sulfur in one the carboys. Into the chest freezer it goes.

India Pale Lager (IPL)

Back