oops, forgot something big...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just brewed my second batch of beer and for some reason forgot to take an OG reading and added the yeast and started fermenting about 24 hours ago. I noticed there is still no activity in the fermentation lock. Its been stable at 68 degrees so I'm just wondering if it takes that long sometimes or if I should have done more before I added the yeast to prepare it for fermentation

Just wait it out and rack to secondary when the bubbles are at least 4 minutes apart. Otherwise, just wait for them to be three minutes apart, then wait a week and bottle.

Cheers!

It might be fermenting even without the airlock bubbling. In the early stage, the yeast cells are preparing for the wild party ahead of them. They are beginning to work without throwing off a bunch of CO2.

If you don't see signs of activity yet, just wait longer.

It might be fermenting even without the airlock bubbling. In the early stage, the yeast cells are preparing for the wild party ahead of them. They are beginning to work without throwing off a bunch of CO2.

Reminds me of this song:

Might be a little :drunk:

but, can't you imagine those little yest cells restin' up for a long long night.

Last edited by a moderator:

+1 wait it out and take a gravity reading, sometimes airlock activity is misleading.

Polboy said:
just wait, it an take up to 72h to have signs of fermentation

If it takes 72hrs to start, you're doing something wrong. Make sure your pitching the correct amount of healthy yeast (hint...make a starter).

Forget about secondaries (they're unnecessary and usually detrimental).

Counting the time between bubbles in your airlock is about as useful as consulting the Farmer's Almanac for your weather forecast. Take a gravity reading with a hydrometer or refractometer. It's the only way to gauge the course of fermentation with any accuracy.

Latest posts

Back