Ooops forgot to make a starter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
So my gf has really taken an interest in my beer making...even though she doesn't like beer all that much. I guess she just wants to be a part of what I'm passionate about. Anyway so the plan is to brew with her tonight, except I totally forgot to make a starter with the washed Irish yeast for the Red we are mkaing.

The Catch. We have to brew tonight!

Tomorrow is a wedding and Sunday well... that wedding is open bar. We can't just post pone the brew day because this brew is for our cottage trip with her parents about a month away! ARRGH!

Oh and the father is a huge Irish Red Fan... I must NOT **** this up. lol

Now the amount of washed yeast I have I think may be enough. the only problem is I obviously can't check it's viability. So my options:

1. Pitch the slurry and hope for the best. The best being a slow start. Would this strain the yeast too much and cause off flavours?
I should add I have 2 mason jars of the yeast with about an inch thick worth of yeast at the bottom.

2. Look into this no-chill brewing thingy.

Personally, I'd make a starter, take it EZ on the alcohol at the wedding, and brew it on sunday.

Anymore, I don't cut corners on my brewing. Too much $$ and time involved to not do it right.

Nope. Air is good for it up until the time when the pitched yeast has multiplied enough to then turn its attention to making alcohol. :D

so should I blast the carboy with c02 when done to make sure it's not sitting on air for day?

Wouldn't hurt as long as you aerate the heck out of it B4 you pitch. I regularly pitch lagers the day after w/ no ill effects. No worries as long as you practice good sanitation.

Back