Ooops! Dropped o-ring in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewjapan

Reaction score
The IPA that I kegged was a little hop-less in aroma/taste so I made a hop tea and added it to the keg with the hops (in small tea bags). Only problem is that when I was opening the keg (after venting) the large o-ring fell in. Doh!

I sprayed a ladle with sanitiser and tried to get it out but the ladle wasn't big enough. Rather than stick in my arm (not sanitised + damn cold in there) I used the o-ring from my other keg and resealed (then purged oxygen, etc).

Any problems with leaving that ring in there? I'll need to second keg at the weekend or next week so my plan was to leave the ring in until then. Hopefully the level will have gone down and I can fish it out.

If I were in your shoes, I'd stop by the LHBS and get another o-ring. Then you can leave that one in there until the keg gets kicked and after that you'll have a spare handy.

My only concern would be the o-ring getting sucked into the dip tube, but i think the ID of the tube is a little too small to take it in.

My only concern would be the o-ring getting sucked into the dip tube, but i think the ID of the tube is a little too small to take it in.

He's talking about the big o-ring that goes on the lid.

I dont see it hurting anything, it should just hang out in the botton.

Yeah, it won't get sucked in. This being Japan though, there is no local hb store. I need to buy mail order. Good idea though.

I did the same thing (IPA also), when I removed the top I didn't notice the o-ring was stuck to the keg. When I looked away for a second it must have fallen in. I managed to fish it out with a long spoon - took forever!

I think your beer will be fine. You just added more hops which will help to ward off the evil. This is another good reason to spray the lid with sanitizer before opening.
-Ben

Just dropped my o ring in after dry hopping. Grabbed another and sealed it up. Hope it doesn't release nasty off flavors.

Don't worry about it. I can't believe how many time this has happened. I'm not sure how the o-ring comes off in the first place, but my wife did this LAST WEEK. I couldn't believe it. We don't have any spare o-rings, so I fished it out with the hooked end of a racking cane. Took me about 30 seconds. Worked great. No need to worry! It definitely won't cause any off-flavors if you leave it in there, though.

Yeah it just jumped off by itself and dove right in. I don't have to worry now as I had a few friends over last night and we finished the keg off. I thought there was way more beer in it! Think my lady was sippin on it more than I know!

Are you guys CERTAIN there is NO problem???

I ask because I was told the same thing when the lid O-ring dropped
into my 8% ABV Belgian Cherry Triple LAST spring (March). It has been aging in the keg with the beer until today. (it's one of the black ones)

I am concerned as to whether the alcohol can desolve the o-ring making the beer unsafe to drink. The beer seems very "hot" which it shouldn't be after aging 9 months.

NA_Wreckdiver said:
Are you guys CERTAIN there is NO problem???

I ask because I was told the same thing when the lid O-ring dropped
into my 8% ABV Belgian Cherry Triple LAST spring (March). It has been aging in the keg with the beer until today. (it's one of the black ones)

I am concerned as to whether the alcohol can desolve the o-ring making the beer unsafe to drink. The beer seems very "hot" which it shouldn't be after aging 9 months.

I'm CERTAIN there won't be an issue with an o-ring in the bottom of a keg. The alcohol in your triple wont dissolve it. Not a chance, not gonna happen.

I'm CERTAIN there won't be an issue with an o-ring in the bottom of a keg. The alcohol in your triple wont dissolve it. Not a chance, not gonna happen.

Truth. It's a food grade o-ring (Usually EPDM) that's DESIGNED to touch your beer without affecting it. Remember those o-rings on the posts and poppets that are ALWAYS touching your beer when it's in the keg? Same stuff.

Old thread revival. I was adding gelatin fining and dropped the big lid o ring into a full keg of Helles yesterday. I decided to simply leave it in and not fish for it to prevent oxidation and possible contaminations with an open keg since I had a spare lid o ring handy. I use keg lube and the lube made the o ring stick to the under lip of the keg and not stay secured on the lid. I felt under the rim for it and plop...it drops right on in and sinks.

Given the responses I see on his post, I won't worry with this mistake and will retrieve the o ring when the keg is empty.

Latest posts

Back