ooooops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kice

Reaction score
Im boiling BMs 3 crop cream ale right now and I just realized the safale 05 wasn't in the box with all the grain. Local brew shop only had "Coopers" brewing yeast. This is only my third brew =/ how drastically will this ruin this beer?

Alternatively could I toss an airlock on this and wait for the packet in the mail and then pitch it a few days?

halp!? =(

Always make sure you have your ingredients and brewing plan laid out before you begin, take an inventory and make certain you have all the ingredients and tools you will need to complete your brew.

I would say you could put the lid and airlock on, but you run the risk of infection because there is no yeast or alcohol production to out-compete any microbes that might be in there. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I would think there is a risk invovled.

Use liquid yeast and make starters, it will solve this dilemma from ever happening again.

Good luck!

First, find a new LHBS. If they only have Coopers yeast then they don't deserve your business.

Now, as for the dilemma your facing, I'd probably rehydrate and pitch the Coopers yeast. Your don't want to wait to pitch because every minute the wort sits there prior to fermentation the risk of infection increases. You've got 5 gallons of sugary wort just begging for bacteria to feast upon. It won't be the same as if you used US-05, but it's your best option right now.

Cooper's will do a fairly good job. It won't attenuate quite as much as S-05, but what you could do is pitch the Cooper's and order a couple packs of dry yeast to stash in the fridge. Check it in a week and re-pitch if needed.

Try to keep the temperature below 65F or you'll get some fruit. May not be a bad thing in that recipe, though.

Turned out fantastic for anyone that cares. Glad I didn't trash the wort =)

Always make sure you have your ingredients and brewing plan laid out before you begin, take an inventory and make certain you have all the ingredients and tools you will need to complete your brew.

I never do this because I'm too excited to be making BEER!

First, find a new LHBS. If they only have Coopers yeast then they don't deserve your business.

Now, as for the dilemma your facing, I'd probably rehydrate and pitch the Coopers yeast. Your don't want to wait to pitch because every minute the wort sits there prior to fermentation the risk of infection increases. You've got 5 gallons of sugary wort just begging for bacteria to feast upon. It won't be the same as if you used US-05, but it's your best option right now.

I was going to "ditto" HOOTER's post since he said exactly what I was thinking. But, now I realize that this is an older thread. In any case, I am glad it worked out well for you. Way to pull it off. :mug:

Latest posts

Back