Only LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErsteBrau

Reaction score
Hey,

Recently I went to my local (20 minute drive....) brew shop to get a Coopers wheat beer kit. I wanted to get 1kg Coopers DME of wheat malt to go with my can but the shop had none, but they reckoned LME was better anyway. So, I ended up fermenting 1.7kg of Coopers Wheat beer and 1.5kg of Coopers wheat malt (both LME), with Danstar Munich yeast. From what I've read it seems that DME is a better bet than LME, but was wondering what the consensus was. I was thinking that maybe they assumed I was adding hops (which I wasn't). After trying the wort it was definitely much sweeter than my other brews, but who knows what will happen after I taste the bugger properly.

Beer afficianados - what are your thoughts about this? All replies much welcomed.

Cheers,
EB.

They're basically the same. DME has better shelf life, I think that's the difference?

As far as the hopping, why didn't you add hops? Do you buy pre-hopped LME? ANd the sweetness will go anyway as it ferments and the sugar turns to booze.

DME and LME are two sides of the same coin - no problems...

BUT - some LMEs are available pre-hopped, of course.

I don't use any pre-hopped extracts - I have no control over what they put in there, but I certainly can add any kind of hops, (any variety and any volume) to my liking when I add them myself.
If you added no hops, you will indeed, have a slightly malty-sweet beverage on your hands.

LME has a shorter shelf life, is more likely to get scorched on the pan bottom, is more difficult to dispense and has to all be used once the can is open. DME undergoes more heat treatment during manufacture and is avalible in less "flavors".

I use LME as the bulk of my extract as it's much cheaper. I get it from MoreBeer which has given me a high quality product (hasn't been sitting a long time).

I add my LME at flame out so there isn't a chance for it to scorch on the bottom, and not as much need to stir like a madman. It also keeps it from darkening.

If I were to get an odd type of extract I'd be more inclined to get DME as the more odd types might sit much longer.

I like to keep plenty of DME on hand as it's shelf life is quite long with no special storage necessary. I keep it on top of my fridge.

Hey,

Recently I went to my local (20 minute drive....) brew shop to get a Coopers wheat beer kit. I wanted to get 1kg Coopers DME of wheat malt to go with my can but the shop had none, but they reckoned LME was better anyway. So, I ended up fermenting 1.7kg of Coopers Wheat beer and 1.5kg of Coopers wheat malt (both LME), with Danstar Munich yeast. From what I've read it seems that DME is a better bet than LME, but was wondering what the consensus was. I was thinking that maybe they assumed I was adding hops (which I wasn't). After trying the wort it was definitely much sweeter than my other brews, but who knows what will happen after I taste the bugger properly.

Beer afficianados - what are your thoughts about this? All replies much welcomed.

Cheers,
EB.

The only real difference is that DME will not be hopped. Were either of the Coopers tins pre-hopped?

You can get pre-hopped DME as well,I even see it at my lhbs. I just don't happen to use it. but without bittering a light flavor hopps,the beer will be sweet.

Hey,

Thanks for all your replies. The 1.7kg malt can was hopped, but the 1kg can wasn't. Am hoping that will be sufficient to balance the sweetness. Put the fermenter in the closet in our bedroom, unbeknownst to my girlfriend who was wondering what the hell the 'blub-blub-blub' sound was in the dark of the night.

... Put the fermenter in the closet in our bedroom,

You may want to think about temperature control, as well. In the corner of a closet, even in a cool room (65°F) will ferment closer to 75°F - outside the range of most yeasts. Yeast in it's active phase commonly raises the temperature of the wort by 10°F

:mug:

Back