Only brewin' boy in New York

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSAstoria

Reaction score
Hey all,

Brand new brewer in Queens, NY. Don't seem to be a lot of us around here, for some reason...

I'm on my second batch, a Scotch ale sitting in the primary right now.

I bottled my batch #2 today :) Tasted my week old Newcastle Clone today and its pretty good, 2 more weeks in the primary and I'll bottle it.

Welcome to HBT!

Hey fellow New Yorkers! Sorry to sort of hijack this thread but since we are here does anyone know of any home brew shops in our area? I'm on Staten Island.

The only store is Karp's but its like 1.5 hour from Brooklyn.

Karp's Homebrew Shop, Homebrewing and Winemaking supplies and equipment, beermaking and winemaking kits, books, links and more!

Just did Google Maps - Driving directions to 2 Larkfield Rd, East Northport, NY 11731
55.1 mi – about 1 hour 10 mins (up to 1 hour 40 mins in traffic)

We should definitely start something up, at least maybe local beer exchange. I am on my 3rd batch and still a newbie, I would love to try some new styles and meet some fellow brewers. I work in Manhattan (near Madison Square park) and live in Sheepshead Bay.

Maybe those of you that are in the city during the week would want to meet up for a drink at Blind Tiger? They have over 30 beers on tap and I went there for a Pumpkin beer night in October when they had like 20 Pumpkin beers.

I am on their mailing list and on Wed they have special nights, so this is what they had yesterday:

This Wednesday Nov. 12th at 4:00PM, we are very proud to be hosting our dear friends from Goose Island Brewing Company.

Here is the list:
Session Sour Brown
Session Saison “Clausenii”
Session Saison “Lacto”
Session Saison “Lambicus”
Cerveza de Juerez
Pappy Van Sherry
Red Felt
Doppelbock
Wil's Saison
Schwartz Bier
Blue Czar
Debbie’s Little Helper
2008 Bourbon County Stout
Organic Pale Ale
Matilda de Bois
Brian's Saison
Honkers Ale
India Pale Ale (IPA)
Nut Brown
Oatmeal Stout
Harvest Ale
Pere Jacques
Matilda
Mild Winter
2008 Juliet
Maybe with a few other treats...if we have room!

Today at my job we have a corporate beer tasting night. I had other plans so I didnt go (its over by now, 6-8). So much beer, so little time and I have 5 gallons bottled, 5 in primary for 1.5 week. :)

If interested PM me and we can chat on IM.

Wow, sounds like there are a few more of us than I thought.

There is a brew shop in Queens--just off the LIE at Main St. in Flushing, exit 23. They're called Homebrew, too, and they also do hydroponics supplies.

146-49 Horace Harding
Flushing, New York, 11367
United States
phone: (718) 762-8880

Also, the wife just forwarded me a link for a beer meetup group:

Homebrewing Class & Tasting - The New York Beer Meetup Group (New York, NY) - Meetup.com

Arbor Wine and Beermaking Supplies in Islip. Website

The store itself looks to be split about 50/50 between wine and beer making items. I can't vouch for their selection since I'm a total newb and hardly know what I'm looking at anyway, but they have been at that location for a few years and haven't gone out of business.

If you are coming via LIRR, they are about 1 block North of the Islip station on Route 111.

Latest posts

Back