one yeast packet or two?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrychris109

Reaction score
just got brewcraft usa, ultimate beer ingredients kit today, scotch wee heavy. included are 2 packets danstar windsor yeast.
advanced procedures for best results with this kit suggest hybrid ale/lager ferment and crashing yeast. it suggests double pitching 2 yeast packets and adding to secondary fermenter 7 days after brewing.
being still pretty new to all this and not having a way yet to keep the beer at the proper temp range for lagering, i will probably be following the basic instructions. that says sprinkle yeast packet over wort after chilled to 80 degrees. this is the way i have done it before (have made a couple batches but none in several months) and i always used only one yeast packet. I don't need to use both packets with this batch do i?

yes for 2 yeast packets, bc the OG is above 1.070 right?
Also, i'd check Danstar's webpage to see if they recommend re-hydration in 80* water first, then pitch.
lastly, please don't move ANY beer in 7 days as a hard/ fast rule. you need to first take a hydrometer reading and it is less than 1.030 or so (for this big beer otherwise the yeast could stall out).
i don't secondary unless i use fruit or OG is above 1.080. otherwise it sits in primary for 2-3 weeks then keg.
good luck.

just got brewcraft usa, ultimate beer ingredients kit today, scotch wee heavy. included are 2 packets danstar windsor yeast.
advanced procedures for best results with this kit suggest hybrid ale/lager ferment and crashing yeast. it suggests double pitching 2 yeast packets and adding to secondary fermenter 7 days after brewing.
being still pretty new to all this and not having a way yet to keep the beer at the proper temp range for lagering, i will probably be following the basic instructions. that says sprinkle yeast packet over wort after chilled to 80 degrees. this is the way i have done it before (have made a couple batches but none in several months) and i always used only one yeast packet. I don't need to use both packets with this batch do i?

I'd use both packs, rehydrated, but as an FYI Wee Heavy is not a lager nor is Windsor a lager yeast.

Back